Saturday, December 03, 2005

 

Chana Dal Vada ( Parippu Vada )

I am posting my first recipe. The weather is getting cold day by day. This weekend I was very much at home. I don’t like to cook in the weekends but the cold weather made me cook this simple recipe Chana Vada (Parippu Vada) for the evening snack. I learned this recipe from my brother-in-law who occasionally cooks mouthwatering dishes. Chana Vada can be made in different ways. Many add coconut to the Vada.

Recipe: For two















  • ½ Red onion cut into small pieces
  • 3 green chilies
  • 1tsp Ginger
  • 1/2tsp sweet cumin
  • 2tsp Cilantro
  • A little of Hing Powder

To Grind:

  • 1 cup of Chana Dal (Soaked for 2hrs)
  • 3 Red chilies
  • Salt to taste












Grind the Chana Dal, Red Chilies with Salt in a blender or a food processor without adding water. Don’t grind them into a paste. Grind them coarsely. Remove the batter in a vessel. Finally add the ingredients (Red onions, green chilies, ginger, sweet cumin, cilantro and hing). Mix them together. Make a round shape with your hands running through the edges. Drop the vada into the oil. Deep fry them in hot oil until they are golden brown. The whole recipe will take about 20 minutes.

Serve with Coconut chutney or sambhar or tomato sauce.


9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks yummy priya
priya,ar

10:25 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey priya its very good that u have a recipe for paruppu vada coz i wanted to do it as well so when i finish it i will sent u a pic

12:14 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

thanks priya for visiting the blog.

12:32 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Do send me the picture and share your experience.

12:33 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I make it the same way except I boil the chana dal first and shallow fry in less oil but yours sounds tastier

9:56 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your presentation and the pictures looks really wonderful and appetizing. I usually make this vada with toor daal, haven't tried it with chana daal, will try it out soon...thanks priya.

Rg.

12:19 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hi Rg, Toor dal is new to me as well-- let me also try with toor dal:)

1:49 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya, This is Anu....It was nice to see this recipe as i ate this only once when my M-I-L made it...However since it is sravana masam, have got too many senagalu, was wondering what to do, suddenly recollected and searched in google....my first search returned to this and I needn't visit anything again....Thnx and keep posting...

4:20 PM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

yum yum! i made it and it rocked! paruppu vada rocked!
thanx:)
-shilpa varadharajan

2:09 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home