Adai ( Lentil Pancakes )
Adai brings back the memories of my childhood. I like the combo of adai with butter; the mix of spiciness and butter really tastes good. I think each family has their own proportions to make this recipe. I learnt this recipe from my mother. This recipe is also healthy, since it is made of different lentils. Here it goes:)
- 2 cups rice
- ¾ cup toor dal
- ¾ cup chana dal
- 1tsp of urad dal
- 2 red chilies
- ¼ tsp asafetida
- 10 pearl onions finely chopped
- ½ turmeric
- ½ tsp ginger
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- Handful of Drumstick leaves ( I replaced with cilantro leaves)
- Few curry leaves
- 2 tsp of coconut
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- Salt to taste
- Soak rice, chana dal, toor dal and urad dal for about 2 hrs
- Grind the soaked items coarsely with red chilies, salt, and asafetida. Do not grind to a fine paste
- Transfer the grinded mixture to a vessel and add pearl onions, turmeric, ginger, green chilies, cilantro or drumstick leaves, curry leaves, grated coconut, and fennel seeds. If the consistency is too thick dilute with little water.
- Heat the griddle with oil and apply the oil evenly; take a ladle of mixture and pour in the centre of the griddle and spread evenly like a circle.
- Add ½ tsp oil around the corners for the adai. Once the adai is cooked one side, turn over to the other side and let it get cooked.
- Serve hot with butter or jaggery or coconut chutney:)