Friday, March 30, 2007

 

Baked Potato with Eggplant

When you are hungry and want to fix a quick meal, I would go for this recipe, which is easy to prepare and you can fix it less than 30 minutes!! I usually bake meat and fish- recently tried the same thing with veggies. Nowadays I bake most of the veggies instead of doing it on a stove top. It saves a lot of time, less oil, and I can cook some other dish in the stove top. This goes for the people who does multitasking and who are lazy to cook!! just like me...ha ha

Method

  • Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
  • Cut the potatoes and egg plants length wise with a knife or by using a Mandolins Slicer. Arrange the potatoes alone evenly in a microwave safe dish and cook for one minute.
  • Take an oven safe dish and brush the pan with olive oil, place the potatoes and egg plants and bake for 10 minutes. Once done, take it out and allow them to cool for few minutes. Mix the cut veggies with 1 tbsp olive oil, red chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and ¼ tsp turmeric. You can add spices according to your taste.

  • Preheat the broiler, Place the veggies about 4 inches from the broiler and cook until golden brown, this should take less than 5 to 10 minutes. Watch carefully, as it may take only couple minutes to cook. I remove the pan in between to turn the veggies over for more crispness on all sides.

Serve with rice or chapattis :)

Notes:
Pototoes need more time to bake, so I cooked in microwave for 1 minute and baked them, if you are baking only pototoes you can avoid the microwave step and bake for 15 minutes.

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Almond Bread Company said...

I always bake potato wedges and also sweet potato, but have never come across baked Egglant like this. Looks mouth-watering. I must give it a try!

9:37 PM   Edit
Blogger Shah cooks said...

where did u come back from? good to see u back. I just baked veggies yesterday but layered them in a casserole instead.. roasting does bring out the flavor of the veggies.

9:11 AM   Edit
Blogger FH said...

Hi Priya,great to see you!:))

Baked veggies rock,I love it and with little Indian spices,can't beat them:))

5:55 AM   Edit
Blogger Pravs said...

nice way to reduce fat in the dish. Looks yum !

7:22 AM   Edit
Blogger swapna susarla said...

looks lovely.

1:49 PM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi Priya,
Nice to have u back. This recipe looks good . But i have a doubt. whenever i broil something in my oven , when I turn down the veggies inbetween my smoke/fire alarm goes on immediately. Is this normal in broiling?

5:07 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hey Prema, is the smoke alarm near your kitchen area, in that case, I guess its normal...my alarm goes on when I put my iron into steam mode, and even when I take hot shower...how weird is that-ha ha...when you are opening the oven I guess the hot air goes out and thats how your smoke alarm goes on!! I usually open the patio door and other windows while broiling or frying something in the kitchen.....

10:03 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya, I reached here through another blog. You have wonderful collection of recipes. I am new at blogging.

11:16 PM   Edit
Blogger Sharmi said...

Hi Priya, I always liked the combi of eggplant and potatoes. nice way to make it. My eggplant always gets over cooked on stove top.now have to try it this way.
I got the tulasi from my friend who has a plant grown at home year around. The saplings can be got from Hindu temples.

cheers
sharmi

10:45 AM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Priya

Thanks for adding my blog in your list :)

Maria

1:35 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi priya,
this is truly a mouthwatering recipe from you. I am trying to bake this dish next week as part of easter celebrations.
Happy Easter

Once upon a lifetime in kerala

regards
http://heartmates.blogspot.com

2:04 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya, so nice to see you! Baked veggies look delicious. I love roasted eggplant - the combo with potatoes would be super! Thanks for the great idea :)

5:07 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi priya,
I always used to watch ur blog before starting mine, but as i started it got stuck with ur pizza :D Nice to see u back!!
I tried baking eggplants once but got burnt off, maybe becoz i used a mandoline to slice. Now i came to know the exact thickness:)

11:21 PM   Edit
Blogger Seema Bhat said...

Priya, That dish looks gorgeous lady. I love both the veggies but never tried using them together. Thanx for the wonderful recipe.

10:58 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks simple and healthy :)

9:13 PM   Edit
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Priya,
My colleage days my friend used to bring this curry with chappatis.Looks nice. Thanks for sharing.

1:25 AM   Edit
Blogger The Avenger !!! said...

I loved this recipe. its really quick. how about doing a post for us options starved bachelors?

4:13 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home