Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 

Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney

I: Can you guess this Chutney

He: Is it Coriander chutney?

I: No

He: Mint Chutney?

I: Nope

He: I don’t know :(

I: This chutney is made from ridge gourd peels.

He: Really!! It tastes similar to coriander chutney!!

When I make something different or something new I usually ask my husband to guess the recipe. He can be the worst guesser in this world when it comes to food, still I ask for my satisfaction. Hope he doesn’t read this: D. This chutney I learnt from my mom and she got it from her friend. When I buy ridge gourd I usually save the skin and put in a zip locker or storage box and use it later for making chutney. This can be handy when you run out of cilantro leaves or mint leaves to make chutneys. The recipe is quite simple and saves lot of your time. Here goes the recipe!!!

Ridgegourd peels

Method

  • Heat pan with 1-2 tsp of oil, add 1 tsp of urad dal, cumin seeds, chana dal, few curry leaves, 3-4 red chilies and saute them.
  • Add the peels and saute them for 4-5 minutes until it turns little soft.
  • Add ¼ cup of coconut or 3-4 tsp of shredded coconut and saute for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep aside.
  • Once it cools down, grind the mixture with marble size tamarind and salt.

Serve with dosa or ildy.

Notes: You can avoid coconut to make this chutney. You can also season it with mustard, cumin and curry leaves.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger FH said...

At last!! Came here like hundred times!!:)) Love this chutney, but alas! I don't get ridge gourd!! Looks Yummy!!

5:41 AM   Edit
Blogger Krithika said...

Lovely chutney Priya. Thanks for sharing

6:47 AM   Edit
Blogger Deepa Culinary World said...

Hi,
Your ridge gourd peel chutney looks good.I also know this chutney.But,little different.I have also posted some dises just look.

7:10 AM   Edit
Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

Looks awesome, I love this chutney with chapathis

2:01 PM   Edit
Blogger mitr_bayarea said...

Priya-

Is ridge gourd soraka or something else?

3:59 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I luv this thuvayal. It tastes so good with white rice and 2 spoons of ghee.

9:40 PM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

I have heard abt this chutney , haven't tasted it.. Picture tempts me to try it out quickly. Thanks for the recipe.

5:18 AM   Edit
Blogger J said...

Great chutney! great idea! thanks for sharing!
Jyothsna.

8:46 AM   Edit
Blogger Deepz said...

gr8 chutney idea. good way to use the peels. do u think this wud work with zuchini peels too?? as i dont get ridge gourd here.

2:39 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

mitr... it is peerkangha:)

Deepz... you have try and let me knw-ha ha--- may be it will work... I never peeled zuccini's so far-- mostlt I use them for pasta, and other few dishes and never got to peel them yet!!!

2:56 PM   Edit
Blogger Maneka Nirmal said...

so u won't leave the skin alone- do u??!! hey i was just kidiing...the chutny looks yummy and i think i 'll give it a try..btw , i am glad that u liked the tuna fry...be studious and keep blogging.

10:03 PM   Edit
Blogger Ananta said...

hi,priya
Your ridge gourd peel chutney looks good.My husband loves this chutney.But i prepare in andhra style.U know priya u are the inspiration for create my own blog.
Thanks for sharing

8:48 AM   Edit
Blogger Anand SK said...

Never really thought of this as a chutney. We call it Perkangkai thuvaiyal, and have it with rice. We do add some urad dal during frying. Should try it with Idli/Dosa. Hmm, maybe if it were any more spicier

3:24 PM   Edit
Blogger Anuradha Muralidharan said...

hai priya,

Thanks for the recipe.I have been looking for this recipe for a long time.Looks yummy.

8:56 AM   Edit
Blogger Meena said...

hi Priya,
Its an amazing recipe.
I have tasted this chutney at home. My mom used to make it..and i loved the taste that time...after mariage, i wanted to make this chutney...I got ur blog...ur's is very useful. Thank u

8:54 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home