Monday, September 11, 2006

 

Carrot Halwa - Gajar Ka Halwa

Today I was in a good mood and wanted to do something except sitting in front of the computer and wasting my time. Sometimes computer can be an addiction for me. Once my hubby leaves I sit in front of the computer until he arrives back. So today I wanted to take a break from my normal routine and do something different. I and my husband don’t have sweet tooth but still like this particular dish- Carrot Halwa. So here goes the recipe!!!

What you need

  • 1 cup grated carrot, 2 cups of milk, ¾ - 1 cup of sugar, cardamom, 1- 2 tsp of ghee, few nuts of your choice, and pinch of saffron strands.

Method

  • Bring grated carrot and milk together in a big pot and cook them in low medium heat. Try to do this when you have something to cook for dinner or lunch since this would take 1 hour to complete the whole process.
  • Keep stirring now and then, and cook until it becomes a thick consistency.
  • Once it becomes thick add sugar, crushed cardamom, saffron strands,and ghee.
  • Keep stirring until the milk evaporates and the mixture form to a solid structure.
  • Remove from heat and decorate with the nuts you like.

Have it cold or hot:)

16 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

tht`s look soo gud...i will sure try to make this on a rainy day..thnx for sharing

12:43 AM   Edit
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Priya,
Yummy Looking Carrot Halwa..

5:16 AM   Edit
Blogger Revathi said...

Yes yes yes - browsing is a real addiction. Looking each of the blogs !! We all realize it but just are too tempted to read blogs.. Perhaps we should come up with a no-blogging event or soemthing. .Carrot halwa looks delish

7:08 AM   Edit
Blogger FH said...

I came from carrot kheer to carrot halwa!! Double yum!! I do make it in a pressure cooker for quicker version!! Thanks Priya!!

7:42 AM   Edit
Blogger Mandira said...

Wow, gajar halwa is my all time favorite. I have never tried it in a pressure cooker before though. Will give it a try.

9:06 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great. I use a can of condensed milk for about 6-7 medium sized carrots. No sugar needs to be added and cooking time is reduced considerably.

11:00 AM   Edit
Blogger Shah cooks said...

yum priya. i like letting it cook further to get the fried taste. and i add a bit of mava.

11:13 AM   Edit
Blogger Maneka Nirmal said...

hey priya..
hmmm...i luv carrot halwa..dushtathi..thaniye thattivittu alle??? just kidding..thanks for the recipe.

12:16 PM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

I always love carrot halwa priya. way back in India I used to add milk sweets to it and it would taste wonderful.. sometimes I add khoya too. I fry the carrots in ghee too...

1:12 PM   Edit
Blogger Deepa Culinary World said...

Hey Priya
Its raining here.I want some halwa.Please can u send me.

Yummmmmmy!!!.

1:53 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya, i want that bowl of carrot halwa..its looks so yum..

2:17 PM   Edit
Blogger Krithika said...

Staying away from comp can have great results ! Carrot halwa looks delicious

6:31 AM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

hi priya,
I have tried your recipe for diwali and it came out superb..
i used 1 1/2 cups of low fat milk & 1/2 cup sugar for 1 cup grated carrot..
thanks a lot for sharing your recipe..

1:35 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi priya
ur recipes are great and simple.I have a question .Can we use milk powder instead of milk to make this halwa.also can i use vegetable oil instead of ghee.
thanks

4:41 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

priya ur dishes are great and simple.i have a question can we use vegetable oil instead of ghee also can we use milk powder instead of milk.
thanks

4:42 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Yes Amna, you can replace ghee with vegetable oil. I am not sure about the milk powder, I guess you can try it...may be for the first time try with little portions:) thanks for dropping comments..Happy Newyear:)

11:39 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home