Wednesday, August 23, 2006

 

Padavalanga Thoran ( Snake Gourd Fry )

I don’t see snake gourd often at the grocery stores, usually it comes during the summer season. Whenever I see snake gourd I try to pick them and make some dish with it. I am not a big fan of snake gourd, but I see this vegetable only on certain seasons so I buy them. This recipe I learned from my mom and here goes the recipe!!


Method

  • To Grind: ¼ cup coconut, 3 green chilies, 2 garlic pod, ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp cumin, and few curry leaves.
  • Clean the snake gourd and finely chop them into small pieces. ( I used 1 snake gourd to make this recipe)
  • Heat oil in a non-stick pan; splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, 2 dry chilies, and few curry leaves. Add the chopped snake gourd and cover cook for few minutes. Once it is half cooked add the ground paste and salt; mix everything together and cook for another 3 minutes uncovered. Once it is cooked, turn off heat and serve hot with rice :)


Also look at Ingi’s Padavalangha thoran

12 Comments:

Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi priya,
Good one . My mom used to make this like kootu or poriyal with channadal or moong dal. Urs is simple and easy without the dals. Thanks for the recipe.

9:25 PM   Edit
Blogger Sudha said...

Hi Priya, they look so good..i make them in the same way..thanks for sharing...

7:19 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya said...

I like this recipe a lot Priya, we dont get snake gourd in our grocery store at all. When I went to India last, I asked my mother to cook snake gourd atleast 4-5 times in the one month I was there :-)

8:57 AM   Edit
Blogger Meena Kandlakuti said...

Hi priya,

two days back only i tried snake gourd curry as bottle Gourd in curd with little variations.The result was excellent.I will try this recipe too.Thanks for sharing.

12:34 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya, I too make this. This tastes great. Lovely pictures :).

3:13 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya, I love snake gourd and will definitely try this out with coconut -- looks delicious :) Thanks!

10:19 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Page bookmarked. You are keeping bachelors alive with this. Amen to you.

5:18 AM   Edit
Blogger UJ said...

Hi Priya,

I make this very often when pudalangai is in season. I am writing about pudalangai raitha and will post the same soon.
~Usha

9:27 AM   Edit
Blogger Ashwini said...

The Kerala thoran is so similar to how we make upkaris...and snake gourd is such a unique tasting vege for this.
Btw loved the new look Priya

12:06 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Thanks Prema, Sudhav, Priya, meena, shilpa, linda, fly, Usha, ashwini for your comments:)

10:34 PM   Edit
Blogger Vaishali said...

Hey Priya, your blog looks different! It looks even better now.
Snake Gourd Thoran sounds good. Will try and make it like this next time.

1:21 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya, this is rg. I'm gonna try this thoran out right away. thanks for sharing this recipe.

BTW, wish you and your family a very happy onam. :)

10:02 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home