Friday, August 11, 2006

 

Supereasy Pulav: Potato and Peas Pulav

When I go to college I try to eat in the Cafeteria because of the live ness. Few weeks back I happen to make few friends in the cafeteria. So we started to meet everyday for lunch and started to share about classes, teachers and on. We were a group of three; one was from Japan. For the last day of the class we all decided to meet early so that we can share our email ids, phone numbers and talk for sometime. One buddy had potluck in her class on the last day of class and decided to bring pulav. Usually many teachers organize potluck on the last day of class, which is more fun and I like it. So my buddy brought pulav to everyone and it tasted yummy. So me, and the girl from Japan started to write down the recipe and were surprised to see that the recipe was so simple to make, yet it tasted delicious. As soon as I came home I made this pulav with Kurma. Here goes the recipe!!

Method

  • Heat the rice cooker pan with oil, 1tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp sweet cumin (saunf), 2-3 cinnamon sticks, 2 cloves, and 2-3 bay leafs. Sauté them and add 1 Onion finely copped, ½ cup green peas, 1 chopped potato, ¼ tsp red chili powder, and 1tsp garam masala. Sauté everything together; add salt and 1 cup of Basmati rice and 1 ¾- 2 cup of water and plug on the rice cooker. I added few mint leaves (optional); I like the aroma and flavor of mint leaves.
  • Serve hot with Kurma (curry) and raita.







11 Comments:

Blogger RP said...

Super easy indeed! Sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Will come in handy when I have to cook within a short time.

10:05 AM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Looks like a very easy and quick pulav for lunch on a work day...as i cook in the morning and pack lunch for my hubby. Thanks for the recipe.

9:43 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes yes Priya..Its definitely an easy one..Thanks for it.

10:20 AM   Edit
Blogger Sudha said...

Priya,truly easy pulav..i will try them soon and let you know..Thanks for this easy recipe..

9:04 PM   Edit
Blogger Tanuja said...

Hi priya,

Thanks for this jhat paat pulav recipe,Its works great for the busy days.

9:50 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Rp, Prema, annita, sudhav, and tanuja- this is really a fast recipe to make.. especially suits for the people who needs something fast yet delicious---let me know how it came for you guys:)

11:59 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi priya tried this pulav it was yummy i made it along with the chichken fry recipe. Both tasted delicious my hubby loved it good job priya.

Cheers,

Joe

12:32 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you prepare the stuff in the rice cooker pan but on the cooking range or did you do it right on the cooker?
Please clarify. Thanks.

8:21 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Anon, I prepared the sauting in rice cooker pan and later switched the pan and plugged on ......

1:14 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiii Priya
I tried ur pulao recipe ystrdy and it was wonderful and so easy. Nowadays I visit ur blog evryday.It is very helpful particularly for people like me who r newly married and are learning the art of cooking. Today planning to make veg cutlet as evng snacks ( thanks to u).
I also wanted to know one more thing which is totally unconnected. One whole bottle of milk is spoiled. It has become sour. Is there any alternative (other than throwing out) to use it? Please clarify it?
Sunitha

5:49 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Sunitha, I don't have any idea on using expired milk- before expiry date nears and If I have more milk in the shelf I make paneer or make pal kova(milk sweet) out of it. If it is still not spoilt- (you will know when you smell the milk) in that case you can try out making paneer. Just heat the milk and squeeze lime to it-(milk will curdle) strain the milk and hang on a cheese cloth for few hours until all the water drains.....

10:42 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home