Friday, July 28, 2006

 

Uniappam ( Mini Pancakes)















I am just waiting for my summer classes to get over, so that I can devote all my time to blogging. I will be done with my classes by August 10th and I will have all my time to read blogs. Coming to the recipe now, Appam comes in different varieties, from the noodles idiappam to the ultra-sweet uniappam. My mom makes uniappam in different ways - with rice flour, rava flour, and wheat flour. During my school and college days, this was one recipe I yearn to eat after classes. My mom makes this snack quite often, for one reason it is very easy to make:) I usually make uniappam with wheat rava and rice flour. Here goes the recipe!!

Method

  • Take 1 cup of wheat rava, ½ cup of rice flour, ½ cup of jaggery/brown sugar, and 2 cardamoms, 1 ripe banana. Grind everything to a paste by adding ½ cup of water, or you can mix everything with help of your hand to a paste or to a batter consistency.












  • Heat the uniappam kal/paniyaram kal (and apply oil in each slot (cast-iron surface heats slowly and it will take some time) once the cast iron is heated, pour the batter into the slot and let it get cooked. Do not cover the cast iron. Once it is cooked, flip over to the other side and cook for few more minutes. Serve hot with tea:) you can also store uniappam in a container for few days.
My Entries to
Santhi’s JFIFlour and Revathi’s FMR Comfort Foods

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Priya,

Looks very yummy, shall try it sometime? Where did you get the uniappam kal?

8:08 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hey usha,
You can check at Kumud electronics, amazon is also selling. Here is the amazon link .

10:56 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I am just waiting for my summer classes to get over, so that I can devote all my time to blogging"

hahahaha.. I couldnt help but laugh at this. There were days when girls used to say, I am just waiting for holidays to relax, sleep, curl on a couch etc..hahaha

2:27 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum..yum..yummy!!!.I've also brought an unniyappam kal from home..,but didn't prepare anything with it..Now gotta give it a try..Thanks Priya

10:53 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, this is a different varient than what my mother in law taught me, looks yummy, I am gonna try it :) My husband will be really happ, he loves uniappam. I am linking ur blog from mine, u have a great collection .. will try

http://mingudam.wordpress.com/2006/07/22/unniappam-kerala-snacks/

12:19 AM   Edit
Blogger Sumitha said...

Uniappam,YUM!Oh good you can come back to blogging soon Priya,do update your other blog too!

11:57 AM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

Super delicious!!

1:32 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds different and yummy. will give it a try soon. Your unniappam kal looks amazing too with the long handles.

thanks
Rg.

7:06 PM   Edit
Blogger Revathi said...

My mother makes a similar dish but not as a appam but like a dosa.. Very simple and healthy recipe.

Thanks for participating in FMR and see you in the round up

Cheers
Revathi

3:06 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the entry priya.
I am glad u could make it for JFI and that too with a traditional recipe....

3:42 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

LG, I am somuch into reading blogs- I feel my studies is taking all my time away:(

annita, let me know how it came for you:)

Monica, let me know how it came in your kitchen.

Sumitha, will soon update my other blog.

Thanks Puspha, Anonymous, Revathi, and Santhi for leaving comments:)

8:12 PM   Edit
Blogger Sudha said...

Ho priya, i miss unniappam so much..i never dared to do them..as im not confident about the taste.but with your recipe i think i should surly give it a try..thanks for sharing..

6:39 PM   Edit
Blogger RP said...

Hello priya, I have blogged about unniyappam too! I was missing it a lot and bought a pan from amazon. Have no idea how many times I have made this within this two months. Haven't tried it with wheat rawa. I will try it next time.

8:37 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look so good an nutritious

Sushma
http://www.sunkiran.com

10:31 PM   Edit
Blogger Revathi said...

Hey doing the roundup just now saw the time magazine in the background Isnt that picture cute with the barathnatyam dress and headphone !!!

4:33 PM   Edit
Blogger Krithika said...

I need to try this version. I am only used to making with rice and jaggery. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

3:21 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

sudhav try it-- I am sure you will love it:)

rp-- I was also suprised to find this at Amazon- let me know how wheat rava came for you:)

Sushma and Krithika let me know how it came for you guys.

Revathi--just waiting to see the roundup-- the one time magazine I preserved- It is so good to see our ppl in Time magazine:)

9:50 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Priya
ur recipe looks good, i think u can make unniyappam without adding wheat rava, it taste better...

4:48 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home