Friday, May 19, 2006

 

Adai ( Lentil Pancakes )











Adai brings back the memories of my childhood. I like the combo of adai with butter; the mix of spiciness and butter really tastes good. I think each family has their own proportions to make this recipe. I learnt this recipe from my mother. This recipe is also healthy, since it is made of different lentils. Here it goes:)

Ingredients

  • 2 cups rice
  • ¾ cup toor dal
  • ¾ cup chana dal
  • 1tsp of urad dal
  • 2 red chilies
  • ¼ tsp asafetida
  • 10 pearl onions finely chopped
  • ½ turmeric
  • ½ tsp ginger
  • 2 green chilies finely chopped
  • Handful of Drumstick leaves ( I replaced with cilantro leaves)
  • Few curry leaves
  • 2 tsp of coconut
  • ½ tsp fennel seeds
  • Salt to taste

Method

  • Soak rice, chana dal, toor dal and urad dal for about 2 hrs
  • Grind the soaked items coarsely with red chilies, salt, and asafetida. Do not grind to a fine paste
  • Transfer the grinded mixture to a vessel and add pearl onions, turmeric, ginger, green chilies, cilantro or drumstick leaves, curry leaves, grated coconut, and fennel seeds. If the consistency is too thick dilute with little water.
  • Heat the griddle with oil and apply the oil evenly; take a ladle of mixture and pour in the centre of the griddle and spread evenly like a circle.
















  • Add ½ tsp oil around the corners for the adai. Once the adai is cooked one side, turn over to the other side and let it get cooked.
















  • Serve hot with butter or jaggery or coconut chutney:)

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya, I have been wanting to make Adai since a few weeks, but somehow it never worked out.

Your post and pictures are making me crave for Adai!!

3:25 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks so beautiful and evenly browned,would love to take a bite...

3:32 AM   Edit
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Priya,
Your Adai looks yummy. What a coincidence that I also posted adai.

5:55 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya,
They look yummy, your adai. Btw I have invited you to a new series. Check out my blog for 'Mistress of Spices'.

6:25 AM   Edit
Blogger Sumitha said...

My Tamilian neighbout aunty used to make very good Adai,she calls them parippu dosa,Yummy!

10:00 AM   Edit
Blogger Ashwini said...

Priya this sounds so much like the mushti pole we make, though ours is without onion etc. I def want to try adai now.
Do you mean pearl onions or shallots? Bcoz I got a bag of pearl onions and they turned out EXTREMELY tedious to peel. First you have to put them in hot water then in cold water for the peels to come off.
I will let you know how mine turned out

11:10 AM   Edit
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Adai looks absolutely yummy.. i love adai with any combo:) Good post Priya!

11:40 AM   Edit
Blogger RP said...

Looks delicious Priya. I will try this out soon.

7:34 PM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

Looks good & healthy

5:02 AM   Edit
Blogger lost in thoughts said...

Looks yummy Priya !
And thanks for adding me to your blog links. Will add you too.

1:45 PM   Edit
Blogger Shammi said...

Normally I dont add onions to adai but I'm going to try it next time, Priya! Your adai looks yummy

2:06 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya,

Nice recipe there. I have never made an idea before so have a basic question. Do you soak rice, chana dal and urad dal seperately before you grind them or do you soak them together.

6:36 AM   Edit
Blogger Lakshmi said...

nice recipe with nice pictures Priya.

11:37 AM   Edit
Blogger Vineela said...

Hi priya,
Thanks for visiting my blog.
I just like these adai.Mom will make and i learnt from her.
Vineela

12:16 PM   Edit
Blogger Neelu said...

Hey Thats a nice and very healthy recipe !! I tried it and loved it.

5:04 PM   Edit
Blogger Neelu said...

nice n helahty, good for any time lunch dinner or breakfast :)

5:28 PM   Edit
Blogger Admin said...

Busy or what?? long time.. expected a recipe for the curry mela.. don't forget next weekend k...

9:45 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,
I made adai using your recipe and they came out very good.
Thanks.

11:13 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Sailu, lera, Menu today, Mythili, Sumitha Shibu,KM, RP, Pushpa, Lakshmi, Vineela, Neelu, anonymous Thanks for your kind words:)


Ashwini, I use pearl onions. I usually soak them overnight and I peel them in the morning, so it is less work:) May be you can try this way:)

Shammi, Try with peral onions, it gives a different taste.

Nav, I soak everything together and I soak only for 2-3 hrs:) Only for idlies we need to soak seperately!!

Anthony, I am little busy with my studies. Which ever recipe I post next, I will post them for curry mela. Trust me!! Thanks for the reminder:)

10:16 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Spicehut, Hey thanks for adding me:)

10:17 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home