Monday, April 10, 2006

 

Onion Samosa

Samosa is a tasty snack and is very popular in India. When I think about samosa, it reminds me of the cinema theatres in India. I love samosa in the theatres. Today the weather was really good; it was raining now and then. I thought a hot spicy snack would go for the evening and it reminded me about the samosa. I was running out of potatoes and ended up making onion samosa .This is my entry VKN' Virtual Cooking competition . This is my own recipe and this how it goes!!
















Ingredients

  • 1 cup of onion ( cut into lengthwise)
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • ¼ tsp pepper powder
  • ½ coriander powder
  • A pinch of turmeric
  • Salt for taste
  • Pastry sheets

Onion stuffing

  • Heat 1tsp oil in a pan and fry the onion with all the powders for about 10 minutes until all the onions absorbs the flavor. Keep aside and set it cool.














Method to make samosa

  • Thaw the required pastry sheets at a room temperature for 30-40 minutes before using. I used Pepperidge farm pastry sheets.
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. While the oven is pre-heating, unfold the pastry sheets and cut into to triangle shapes. You can do any shapes with this dough, just play with it.
  • Stuff the onions mixture on the triangle shapes and bring another triangle shape and close the edges with your hands. Do this for all the samosa.















  • In a flat ungreased pan, arrange the samosa’s and bake the samosa's at 400 degrees F for about 10- 12 minutes. I used the foil on the pan so that I can escape from cleaning. Check the samosa's in between while it is in the oven to avoid over frying.Take it out when it becomes crispy and color changes to golden brown.
  • Serve hot with tomato sauce.








12 Comments:

Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Thanks for participating Priya. See you at the VCC show. Cheers!

10:17 PM   Edit
Blogger Lakshmi said...

Hi Priya, just yesterday only I tried Saffron Hut's Fake Samosas, next time I'll try these Onion Samosas. A good post. looks yummy.

5:36 AM   Edit
Blogger RP said...

Hello Priya
The samosas look really good. The filling, even though just onions, looks yummy. Keep up the good work.

5:40 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, The samosa filling is simple and yet unique,never tasted a filling with just onions,will sure try this one out :)

6:57 AM   Edit
Blogger Luv2cook said...

Priya:

You reminded me of the movie theatre samosas. I can feel the taste in my mounth :). Thanks much!

8:42 AM   Edit
Blogger wheresmymind said...

Wait...there are samosa's available at movie theaters in India? Oh man, that would so replace popcorn for me if they had those here :D

12:52 PM   Edit
Blogger Tanuja said...

Hi Priya,

Oven baked onion samosa looks yummy, great recipe thanks priya.

2:05 PM   Edit
Blogger sailu said...

Oh I love these samosas!Lovely picture,Priya.

2:06 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya said...

Kani kaanum neram kamala netrante niramekum manja thukil , kanaga kingini valakal mothiram aninju kananam bhagavane - Vishu Ashamsagal to u and ur family

7:26 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

vkn, thanks for the reminders.

lakshmi, I tried SH's samosa, it turned out yummy. Let me know how this samosa comes out.

anjali, share your samosa recipe with us!

rp,yeah this is quite simple to make. It is a quick and lazy recipe.

lera, i am sure you will like just the onion filling. Let me how it turned out!

l2c, me to like those samosa which is available in the theatres.

wheresmymind, yeah we get samosa in india. Its is tasty and less expensive:)

tanuja, let me know how it turned out for you.

santi, yeah it is a good snack for the movies.

sailu, thanks for the nice words.

Priya, thanks for the wishes. Wishing you and karthik a happy newyear.

7:44 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! this sounds interesting. Looks delicious and also sounds quite easy. I always don't get proper shape with regular dough... I should try now with the pastry sheets... thanks for that idea. thanks for the baking idea (instead of frying) too. I'll sure try your samosas soon and let you know the results. Thanks again.

11:37 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Anonymous,

pastry sheets works great and as you say --less use of oil--- and it tastes good:) let me know how it came

8:20 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home