Tamarind Rice ( Puliyodharai)
This recipe I learnt from my mother-in-law. I like this recipe for its spiciness and it has a sour taste. The recipe can be stored for more days in the refrigerator if cooked with proper care. I like this recipe cooked with gingili oil than the other normal oils. It adds flavor to the recipe. Here it goes!
- 1 cup rice (Sona Masoori)
- Lemon size tamarind
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 4-5 dried red chilies
- 2 tsp of roasted peanuts
- 3-4 tsp gingili oil
- Salt for taste
Dry roast powder
½ tsp of mustard and methi seeds, dry roast and powdered.
Mustard, Chana dal, urad dal, and curry leaves
- Cook rice and allow them to cool
- Soak tamarind in two to three cups of warm water and extract the juice from it. The consistent should be thick.
- Heat oil in pan, add mustard, chana dal, urad dal, peanuts, red chilies and curry leaves and sauté them.
- Add the dry roasted powder and sauté them with the mixture.
- Add tamarind extract, pinch of asafoetida and salt. Keep stirring constantly till the tamarind extract reduces its volume and becomes to a thick pulp.
- Add the gravy to the rice and mix well. You can keep the rest of the gravy in the refrigerator. It will stay in the refrigerator for more than 20 days if cooked properly.