Wednesday, May 10, 2006

 

Tamarind Rice ( Puliyodharai)












This recipe I learnt from my mother-in-law. I like this recipe for its spiciness and it has a sour taste. The recipe can be stored for more days in the refrigerator if cooked with proper care. I like this recipe cooked with gingili oil than the other normal oils. It adds flavor to the recipe. Here it goes!

Ingredients

  • 1 cup rice (Sona Masoori)
  • Lemon size tamarind
  • A pinch of asafoetida
  • 4-5 dried red chilies
  • 2 tsp of roasted peanuts
  • 3-4 tsp gingili oil
  • Salt for taste

Dry roast powder

½ tsp of mustard and methi seeds, dry roast and powdered.

For seasoning

Mustard, Chana dal, urad dal, and curry leaves

Method

  • Cook rice and allow them to cool
  • Soak tamarind in two to three cups of warm water and extract the juice from it. The consistent should be thick.
  • Heat oil in pan, add mustard, chana dal, urad dal, peanuts, red chilies and curry leaves and sauté them.
  • Add the dry roasted powder and sauté them with the mixture.
  • Add tamarind extract, pinch of asafoetida and salt. Keep stirring constantly till the tamarind extract reduces its volume and becomes to a thick pulp.
  • Add the gravy to the rice and mix well. You can keep the rest of the gravy in the refrigerator. It will stay in the refrigerator for more than 20 days if cooked properly.
Serve rice with papad and curd.





8 Comments:

Blogger Tanuja said...

Hi Priya,

Pulihora looks yummy, Ur presentation is cool. In india people who travel in train for longer period make this dish to have in the train, As I use to travel from karnataka to delhi almost two and half day in the train my mom used to give this dish for me.

6:28 AM   Edit
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Yummy recipe Priya, I almost make similar version and thogayal is the best combination, my mom makes!

8:18 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tho, not a big fan of mixed rices,
I think out of all the mixed rices in Tamil Nadu cuisine, tamarind rice is my favourite. One of our friend's mom cooked a big pot for 20 people for our college trip and it was sooo tasty! The best part was it lasted for next day lunch also without any change in taste and flavour. I should try this.

10:54 AM   Edit
Blogger Sumitha said...

Reminds me of the lunch I used to carry to college and also attending some functions in our friends home or in a wedding,In Blore we call it Puliogere....tangy and yummy!

11:51 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are many variations to tamarind rice...but whatever the variation....I love tamarind rice.

2:09 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

tanuja,LG very true. This recipe is good for travelling and stays good for our hot weather in india.

KM, I have never tried with thogayal. Thats a good tip:)

paz, let me know how it came in your kitchen.

Sumitha, I can totally relate to yours. I get back to my school memories when i make tamarind rice.

Sailja, even me i like any form of tamrind rice:)

10:42 PM   Edit
Blogger Lakshmi said...

nice pulihora recipe.

8:10 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

lakshmi, Thanks for your nice words

Bindu, you should try, it is easy and tastes good:) let me know how it came in your kitchen.

10:43 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home