Tuesday, April 18, 2006

 

Kovakka ( Ivy Gourd ) Curry















I never had a liking for Kovakka since I never tried it out. I picked this veggie to try something new for the week. My friend is fond of kovakka and I got this recipe from her. I thanked her so much for sharing this recipe since it turned out to be a very tasty dish. It goes well with rice as well as chapatti. Here it goes!!

Ingredients

  • Kovakka (required quantity)
  • ½ cup Onions finely chopped
  • ½ cup tomato finely chopped
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • 2 tsp coriander powder
  • Salt for taste

For tempering: Mustard, cumin and curry leaves


Method

Cut the kovakka into round or lengthwise.

Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin, curry leaves to it. When the mustard starts to sputter add the onions and sauté until it turns to light brown color. Now add the tomato's and sauté for few minutes.

Add turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, salt and kovakka. Mix well and add required water and cover cook for 15 minutes.













Once the kovakka gets cooked and absorbed the flavor, cook uncovered for 2 minutes.

Serve hot with rice or chapatti.





10 Comments:

Blogger Srikala B said...

Looks like a different method for making kovakka :)

2:55 AM   Edit
Blogger sailu said...

Priya,this is a fav veggie of mine and love stir fries recipes made of kovakka.

4:28 AM   Edit
Blogger Lakshmi said...

I like this curry, but we prepare different. will try this way next time Priya.

7:42 AM   Edit
Blogger RP said...

Yummy!!! We love kovakka. Will try it soon.

11:13 AM   Edit
Blogger Ashwini said...

This looks tasty Priya. Is kovakka tondli or doodhi?

11:16 AM   Edit
Blogger Vineela said...

hI Priya,
Hey i too like this curry.But here iam not getting it.Nice photos.let me try with takkali normally i will not add.
Vineela

9:14 PM   Edit
Blogger reshma said...

I have never tried this vegetable too, am not even sure I will recognize it ! cool blog, Priya. and gReat pictures from Kerala.

8:31 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Priyamudan amma, sailu, lakshmi, rp, vineela and reshma give a try. It is very tasty and let me know how it turned out for you guys.

Santi, your are right it is Tindora in gujarathi:)

Ashwini, yeah it is called tondli in Marati.

9:52 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya! Rg here....I like kovakka too. I make kovakka(finely chopped) thoran and kovakka(lengthwise cut) with black pepper and onions and stuff but adding tomatoes again is new to me... I'll give this a try as I've kovakka in my firdge right now. thanks a lot for sharing this recipe. :)

8:48 AM   Edit
Blogger സാം said...

it is really good. Thanks

7:09 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home