Thursday, May 04, 2006

 

Eggplant Curry ( Kathrika Gotsu )















I learnt this recipe from my mom. We call this recipe , “Kathrika Sabji”. After coming to the U.S., I heard from my friends there is another name for this recipe. It is often called “Kathrika Gotsu”. This recipe is the best accompaniment with idlys and dosas. I like this recipe for the tangy flavor. Here goes the recipe!!

Ingredients

  • 3-4 Eggplants
  • 1 Onion or 10 pearl onions finely chopped
  • 1 tomato finely chopped
  • 4-5 red chilies
  • 1tsp of ginger-garlic paste
  • ¼ cup tamarind extract
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • Salt for taste

For seasoning: Mustard, Cumin, cloves, cinnamon stick and curry leaves.

Method

  • Chop the eggplant to small pieces and place them in water adding salt to prevent discoloration.
  • Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, cumin, cloves, cinnamon stick and curry leaves.
  • Add onions and ginger- garlic paste to this and sauté until the onions become translucent. Add tomatoes and turmeric and cook for few minutes until the tomato becomes soft and tender.
  • To this add the eggplants, sauté them with the mixture to absorb the flavors. Add the tamarind extract and salt.
  • Cover cook for 15 minutes in medium heat until the eggplant becomes really soft.
  • Turn off heat and mash the mixture with the whisk or wood masher.
  • Serve hot with idly, dosa or pongal.

13 Comments:

Blogger Luv2cook said...

You know after I came to the U.S is the first time I learnt that idlis are eaten with other curries too rather than just the chutney, sambhar and idli podis combo. :).

The curry looks delicious and the idlis too. They look so creamy and white. Care to post the idli recipe?

6:55 AM   Edit
Blogger Vineela said...

Hi Priya,
I do make this recipe for idlis .i learnt it from my mother-in-law.Its a nice combo.
Vineela

8:58 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like this recipe for kathrika gothsu. I make gothsu somewat similar to this. I like all your recipes for idlis. They are very tasty.

10:02 AM   Edit
Blogger Lakshmi said...

nice recipe Priya, i think it will also go well with rice.

1:10 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a new combo for me. I will try it soon. (Only problem is I am unable to get the perfact idlis. everytime I make them, they become too hard :(( ).

3:22 PM   Edit
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Priya,
I also make this Gotsu in same manner by eliminating garlic...

7:10 PM   Edit
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Priya, i do make this recipe, but we smoke the brinjals in flame and then make these kotsus.. I love this combo:) Idli's looks so soft and spongy!

8:35 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Idli with brinjal curry is new to me.Must try it ,Priya..

8:44 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

l2c, I think that is true with many of us. I think the cooking blog helps us a lot these days. Try this recipe, I am sure you will like it. I have posted Idly recipe in my blog- check in the breakfast section:)

Lakshmi, I never tried eating with rice, I am sure it will taste good.

Shilpa, I din't know you are from "Aayi's" blog. I never concentrated on the name and thought it goes as "aayi's" when you respond. With what rice are you making idly's. You can check my Idly recipe from my blog.

Jyothi, I dont make sambhar with my own recipe. I use sakthi sambhar powder. My mom has her own recipe, I am yet to get from her and make it-just lazy to do the grinding stuffs. Will post soon:)

Vineela, Priya. MT, KM and sailja thanks for your nice words. Do let me know how it came in your kitchen

12:09 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

smiles, hey this has to be cooked well and you have to mash them with wooder masher..... you have to add little water for the egg plant to get cooked. May be next time it will turn out better:) goodluck:)

10:30 PM   Edit
Blogger yum said...

mmm, looks good. I like gotsu. We eat it along with venn pongal.

7:42 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

yum, i heard that with most of my friends....may be i should try eating with pongal

8:27 PM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

Good one Priya. I tried this and it came out very well.

1:39 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home