Sunday, July 16, 2006

 

Kerala Fried Fish
















I have been little busy with my summer classes, and I thank Annita for enquiring about it:) Let me get it into the dish and not bore you guys with my stories. For frying Kerala cooks prefer a flat, white-fleshed sea fish called pomfret because of its firm texture. They usually coat the fish pieces with ground coriander and red chili, fry them until crisp, and serve them with curries and rice. Since pomfret is hard to find in the U.S., I substituted with salmon:) and tried to bake because it consumes very less oil. Here it goes:)

How to prepare

  • Combine 2tsp of grated pearl onion, 1tsp of coriander powder, 2tsp of red chili powder, ½ tsp of black pepper powder, 1 tsp of grated garlic and ginger, ¼ tsp turmeric, and tsp oil to form a paste. Smear paste over fish fillets to cover completely. Refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour.

How to bake

  • Once it is ready to be cooked, add 1tsp of oil and arrange fish fillets side-by-side into an oven-safe dish.
  • Preheat oven to 350°F [180°C].
  • Bake into preheated oven for 15 minutes and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown, or you can directly broil the fish in medium heat for 10 minutes. While broiling ensure the fish pieces are not too big, it may not cook well if the size is big. I broil for 10 minutes front side and again broil for 5 minutes the back side of the fillet to ensure the fillets are cooked properly.

Enjoy the fried fish with rice.


11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, It looks like it is fried. I should start baking them!!

>>bore you guys with my stories

No! No! I want the stories too!

7:53 AM   Edit
Blogger KA said...

Fried fish looks delicious! This joins my must try list.

7:55 AM   Edit
Blogger Ashwini said...

Adding grated onion is new to me. Let me try this and let you know

10:49 AM   Edit
Blogger archana said...

Looks good Priya, after doing it once, nowadays i prefer baking fish with Kerala style spices. It tastes sooo good and healthy.

5:44 PM   Edit
Blogger RP said...

Looks great Priya! I have blogged about broiled salmon. We love salmon- baked, broiled or grilled. My friend makes fish pickle using salmon.

8:25 PM   Edit
Blogger Sumitha said...

It looks just so delicious Priya!

4:40 AM   Edit
Blogger starry said...

Looks just like when it is fried. have to try it this way. saves a lot of mess.Thanks for sharing.

1:12 PM   Edit
Blogger indianadoc said...

oooooo...fish!!....a Keralite's heavenly dish!!

3:22 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of using salmon! Good luck with your classes.

Paz

5:16 AM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh!!! I'm drooling.

5:57 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Thanks LG, Krishnaarjuna, ashwini, archanat, rp, sumitha, starrynights, indiandoc, paz, and pusha for dropping comments:)

Rp-- checked your broiled salmon and chicken--i liked it:) will try your way for chicken:)hmm fish pickle--- hope you will post your friends recipe to us:)

Lg, starrynights--- as archanat says--it is so easy to cook fish through baking- less time, less oil and no messing:)and very healthy:)

8:10 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home