Thanks to Garam Masala for coming up with such a thoughtful Theme and Spicehut for tagging to this meme. I would like to write about what I miss about my mom and her recipes.
- Her dedication: My mom was a workingwoman and she raised three kids. I appreciate her dedication to her work life and family. She was able to balance both with no compromises. She gets up at 4 a.m. in the morning to cook for us and she goes to work. I doubt whether I can do that?
- Cleanliness: She is extremely obsessed when it comes to keeping the cooking area clean. Most of the time I observed her in the kitchen cleaning some stuffs.
- Kadala curry: Though I make this recipe in her style, her way of cooking and taste doesn’t match with mine.
- Shrimp podi: She makes yummy shrimp podi. She dries the shrimp, fries it and grinds it with tamarind, coconut, red chilies and shrimps. All time favorite:)
- Ela Ada: Sweetened coconut flakes are encased in a layer of rice paste spread on toasted banana leaves and then steam-cooked to make these delicate flat cakes. As it cooks, the Ela Ada absorbs the earthy aroma of the toasted banana leaves.
- Biriyani: She makes chicken, mutton, and prawns biriyani and it is heaven:)
- Parippu Payasam: Made of moong dal, jaggery, and coconut milk.
- Erissery: Made with green bananas, coconut, and other spices
- Fish curry
I would like to tag Bhakshanam, Sugar and Spice, Ginger& Mango ,and My workshop.