Thursday, June 15, 2006

 

10 Things I miss about my Mom's cooking



















Thanks to Garam Masala for coming up with such a thoughtful Theme and Spicehut for tagging to this meme. I would like to write about what I miss about my mom and her recipes.

  1. Her dedication: My mom was a workingwoman and she raised three kids. I appreciate her dedication to her work life and family. She was able to balance both with no compromises. She gets up at 4 a.m. in the morning to cook for us and she goes to work. I doubt whether I can do that?
  2. Cleanliness: She is extremely obsessed when it comes to keeping the cooking area clean. Most of the time I observed her in the kitchen cleaning some stuffs.
  3. Kadala curry: Though I make this recipe in her style, her way of cooking and taste doesn’t match with mine.
  4. Shrimp podi: She makes yummy shrimp podi. She dries the shrimp, fries it and grinds it with tamarind, coconut, red chilies and shrimps. All time favorite:)
  5. Appam
  6. Ela Ada: Sweetened coconut flakes are encased in a layer of rice paste spread on toasted banana leaves and then steam-cooked to make these delicate flat cakes. As it cooks, the Ela Ada absorbs the earthy aroma of the toasted banana leaves.
  7. Biriyani: She makes chicken, mutton, and prawns biriyani and it is heaven:)
  8. Parippu Payasam: Made of moong dal, jaggery, and coconut milk.
  9. Erissery: Made with green bananas, coconut, and other spices
  10. Fish curry

I would like to tag Bhakshanam, Sugar and Spice, Ginger& Mango ,and My workshop.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats nice to know... BTW did you do that sketching priya?!!

3:20 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good presentation Priya. Please post all the recipes here :D.

11:32 AM   Edit
Blogger lost in thoughts said...

Cute pic, Priya. Nice to read about the things you miss most.

3:16 PM   Edit
Blogger starry said...

very nice.

9:54 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing to beat amma's food. Feels good to read Mom's cooking meme of all the food bloggers..:). Very touching and nice.

7:57 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home