Moru Kutan ( Butter milk curry )
This spring quarter I took some courses to keep myself occupied. Lately I started to realize that it has become too hectic for me and I hardly get time for myself. I love blogging and reading blogs, which I couldn’t do for past one month. I am just waiting for this quarter to get over and take a break:) .This recipe I learnt my mother-n-law and I like the way she makes this recipe. Moru curry can be made with okra, ash gourd, plantain and yam. I made this recipe with ash gourd (white pumpkin). Here it goes:)
- 1 cup of ash gourd finely chopped
- 2cups of butter milk
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 2tsp rice
- 1tsp mustard
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp chana dal
- 5-6 seeds of coriander
- Green chilies 4-5
- ½ cup coconut
- Oil, mustard, ½ tsp fenugreek seeds, red chilies, and curry leaves
- Marinate rice, mustard, cumin, chana dal, and coriander seeds for 30 minutes in water.
- Grind green chilies, coconut, rice, mustard, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and chana dal in a mixer or blender to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, red chilies, fenugreek seeds, and curry leaves.
- Add the ash gourd pieces, water, turmeric and salt and cover cook for few minutes until the veggie gets cooked.
- Add the ground paste and cook for few minutes.
- Add the butter milk and mix along with the mixture. Cook in low heat for few more minutes until the form appears. Do not allow it to boil.