Thursday, June 22, 2006

 

Bell Pepper Curry















Bell peppers are rich in Vitamin C and you can find them in different colors. I like green peppers, which are unripe, while the others all are ripe- red, yellow, and orange. The green peppers are less sweet and slightly more bitter than the other colored peppers. I think it all tastes similar. This curry I learnt from my sister in law and it goes well with rice and chapattis. It is very easy to make and tastes good. Here it goes:)

Ingredients

  • 2 bell peppers finely chopped
  • Handful of pearl onions
  • ½ tomato finely chopped
  • 6-7 red chilies
  • Little tamarind piece soaked in ½ cup water (¼ size of a lemon)

Method

  • Heat oil in pan, add mustard, cumin, red chilies, curry leaves and sauté them.
  • Add the pearl onions and sauté until it turns to light brown, and add the tomato and sauté until it becomes soft and tender.
  • Add the tamarind water and allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
  • Add the finely chopped bell pepper and salt and cover cook for 15 minutes and sauté them in between in order to avoid over heating the pan.
  • Turn of heat and mash the mixture with the wood masher and serve hot with rice or chapattis.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sowjanya said...

Hi priya,

Nice recipe with bell peppers. I usually make stuffed bell peppers. This is something which I should give a try.

11:35 PM   Edit
Blogger Balaji Srinivasan said...

From your photo, looks like the peppers are mashed. Usually, they should not lose their texture, i.e., remain firm and preferably cut long. Otherwise, I think it becomes yet another curry.

7:15 AM   Edit
Blogger Neelu said...

SOmethign different, I add all masalas like dhaniya jeera and garam masala and dont use tamrind. I will try ur recipe as i ahve loads of pepeprs lying in fridge . Thansk for posting this recipe

2:53 PM   Edit
Blogger starry said...

nice recipe..and beautiful pics.

6:32 PM   Edit
Blogger Sumitha said...

I have to try this Priya!

11:03 AM   Edit
Blogger Neelu said...

Hi priya
Can you c my blog ?
I cant c my blog from internet exploreer but i can view it from firefox. I dont know whats wrong. Did u face prob of this kind before ? Do u have any idea what I could do ? To post a reply view my blog from any other explorer except IE

10:17 AM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey that;s a different recipe with bell peppers- does the taste change when mashed?? Or is the same bell pepper taste? It looks very yummy!
N

5:57 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home