Peas Curry with Coconut
Green peas have more nutrients and it provides a good amount of protein, fiber and vitamins. Green peas are important for maintaining bone health. They are a very good source of Vitamin K1. Green peas also serve as a very good source of folic acid and a good source of Vitamin B6 . Frozen peas are preferable to canned peas as they retain their flavor and have lower sodium content. I use both frozen as well as the dried green peas. This recipe I learnt from amma and this is goes well with rice, idly, dosa and chapattis. Here it goes:)
- 1 Cup of Green Peas ( Frozen peas or pressure cook the green peas)
- To Fry and grind to a paste: ½ onion cut into big chunks, 1 big tomato cut into big chunks, ½ cup shredded coconut, 2 pods of garlic, a small piece of ginger, 1tsp cilantro, 1tsp roasted gram, 1tsp coriander seeds, 1tsp cumin and 2 red chilies.
- For seasoning: ½ onion cut into small pieces, 2 cloves, 2 pieces of cinnamon stick, ½ tsp fennel seeds, 2tsp of cilantro.
- In a pan add oil and Sauté the cloves, cinnamon stick, fennel seeds and onions. Sauté until the onions turn brown. Add the ground masala and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the cooked or frozen peas and ½ cup of water and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add salt for taste.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot