Wednesday, June 28, 2006

 

Peas Curry with Coconut











Green peas have more nutrients and it provides a good amount of protein, fiber and vitamins. Green peas are important for maintaining bone health. They are a very good source of Vitamin K1. Green peas also serve as a very good source of folic acid and a good source of Vitamin B6 . Frozen peas are preferable to canned peas as they retain their flavor and have lower sodium content. I use both frozen as well as the dried green peas. This recipe I learnt from amma and this is goes well with rice, idly, dosa and chapattis. Here it goes:)

Ingredients

  • 1 Cup of Green Peas ( Frozen peas or pressure cook the green peas)
  • To Fry and grind to a paste: ½ onion cut into big chunks, 1 big tomato cut into big chunks, ½ cup shredded coconut, 2 pods of garlic, a small piece of ginger, 1tsp cilantro, 1tsp roasted gram, 1tsp coriander seeds, 1tsp cumin and 2 red chilies.
  • For seasoning: ½ onion cut into small pieces, 2 cloves, 2 pieces of cinnamon stick, ½ tsp fennel seeds, 2tsp of cilantro.

Method

  • In a pan add oil and Sauté the cloves, cinnamon stick, fennel seeds and onions. Sauté until the onions turn brown. Add the ground masala and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the cooked or frozen peas and ½ cup of water and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add salt for taste.
  • Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot

11 Comments:

Blogger Neelu said...

Hi Priya.
Nice recipe...looks rich like a mughalai curry.
Will Try it !!!

8:06 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice recipe priya. I was searching for some recipes with peas. Thanks for sharing.

3:13 PM   Edit
Blogger Sumitha said...

Priya only some puris are missing from the picture!It would be lovely to have it with some hot puris.....mmmmm....yum!

2:56 AM   Edit
Blogger Vineela said...

Hi Priya,
Peas curry looks good.I like to add always peas .as you mentioned it contains lot of fiber.
Vineela

10:05 AM   Edit
Blogger KA said...

Good healthy recipe Priya! Nice pictures!

7:39 AM   Edit
Blogger archana said...

Hi Priya,
Thank you for the recipe. Never tried making peas curry with frozen peas before. Your post gives me confidence to try it.

1:11 PM   Edit
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Priya,
Nice recipe and picture. Thanx for sharing.

11:54 PM   Edit
Blogger Nila said...

Hi Priya, I love peas curry too, I make somewhat similar way. I use little bit of light cream. Thanks for sharing.
I read your other bolg,All abt babies. Its fantastic. Its interesting and contains very useful information. Keep up the good work.

7:54 AM   Edit
Blogger Sowjanya said...

Hi priya,

Back to your blog after a long vacation to India. peas curry looks yummy. I was thinking of what to cook for suresh today and here I go home with your recipe today. Thanks priya.

12:52 AM   Edit
Blogger Annita said...

Hey Priya..
Where are u?No news for long?Everything ok there?

12:25 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hi Neelu, shilpa,sumitha, vineela, Krishnaarjuna,archant,menutoday,ram- thanks for your lovely comments:)

Nila, I sometimes add cream... that's more tasty:) Regarding my other blog, I would love to contribute about babies, now I am little busy with my studies:( I hardly get time to blog

Sowjanya, Hope you and Suresh enjoyed this dish:)

Hi Annita, so sweet to write those nice little words:) I have taken summer classes and I pretty much go to school all the days... so I hardly get time to sit in front of the comp:)

1:02 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home