Dal Spinach Curry
Spinach is a rich source of iron. In reality, a 60 gram serving of boiled spinach contains around 1.9 mg of iron. A good many green vegetable contain less than 1 mg of iron for an equivalent serving. Hence spinach does contain a relatively high level of iron for a vegetable. I buy spinach every week; it is part of my weekly shopping. This recipe is simple and easy to make, and it is one my favorites. I made this curry with dal (lentils).The dal prices are skyrocketing in every place, as Indians our only source of proteins is lentils:( Hope everything becomes normal soon. Here goes the recipe:)
- Pressure cook ½ cup of dal with ½ tsp turmeric, and 1 cup of water. Once it is cooked mash the dal and keep it aside.
- Heat the pan with oil, season with mustard, cumin, curry leaves, 4 green chilies, and 4 pods of sliced garlic.
- Add 5- 6 chopped pearl onions, sauté them until it turns into light brown. Add ½ tomato chopped and sauté them.
- Add a bunch of chopped spinach leaves and sauté them. Cover cook for 5 minutes in low-heat. Once the spinach is cooked add the mashed dal. Add ¼ cup of water, salt and cook for another 5 minutes uncovered and turn off the heat.
- Keep it covered to absorb the flavor, serve with rice and pappad.