Monday, July 31, 2006

 

Dal Spinach Curry

Spinach is a rich source of iron. In reality, a 60 gram serving of boiled spinach contains around 1.9 mg of iron. A good many green vegetable contain less than 1 mg of iron for an equivalent serving. Hence spinach does contain a relatively high level of iron for a vegetable. I buy spinach every week; it is part of my weekly shopping. This recipe is simple and easy to make, and it is one my favorites. I made this curry with dal (lentils).The dal prices are skyrocketing in every place, as Indians our only source of proteins is lentils:( Hope everything becomes normal soon. Here goes the recipe:)

Method

  • Pressure cook ½ cup of dal with ½ tsp turmeric, and 1 cup of water. Once it is cooked mash the dal and keep it aside.
  • Heat the pan with oil, season with mustard, cumin, curry leaves, 4 green chilies, and 4 pods of sliced garlic.
  • Add 5- 6 chopped pearl onions, sauté them until it turns into light brown. Add ½ tomato chopped and sauté them.
  • Add a bunch of chopped spinach leaves and sauté them. Cover cook for 5 minutes in low-heat. Once the spinach is cooked add the mashed dal. Add ¼ cup of water, salt and cook for another 5 minutes uncovered and turn off the heat.
  • Keep it covered to absorb the flavor, serve with rice and pappad.

12 Comments:

Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Priya,
Simple and neat dal curry. Thanx for sharing.

10:04 PM   Edit
Blogger indosungod said...

Quick and easy dal, I always fall back on this when I want to cook something fast.

6:21 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya, I love this dal. I had learnt it from one of my friend. Your pic looks very tempting..slurp slurp....

7:50 AM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

Super duper yummy. I love this with fried fish.

3:48 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simple dal curry,Priya.I love daals and my husband is a dal enemy..:((

6:29 AM   Edit
Blogger Surya Hith said...

Hi priya,
simple and eay to make.Dal with fried fish,My weakness!!Thanks priya

3:05 PM   Edit
Blogger RP said...

Hmm.. we seems to be cooking a lot of similar dishes! I have blogged about this as well. :)) Your curry looks beautiful. Looking forward to see more posts from you once your summer class is over.

8:39 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Thanks Menutoday, indosungod, shilpa, pushpa, annita, surya, and rp for your comments:)

Annita, sad to hear that your husband doesn't like dal:( My husband is non-veg enemy ---hope that will make you feel better--I have a big hit:(

RP even I had the same feeling when I saw pizza in your blog:) may be we should time ourself before posting recipes:)

9:57 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I make spinach curry almost in a similar manner. Instead of green chillies, I add dried red chillies....and also I've never tried adding tomatoes to it, so that's new to me...I guess that's why my spinach curry is not as tasty as it should be. I'll be trying your recipe very soon and will let you know the results...thanks again priya.

Rg.

12:36 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Priya,

I loved the anniversary photographs. The first two pictures of the snowcapped peaks reminded me of Switzerland, when my hubby and I honeymooned as newly weds. Are you an outdoors person?

The sabudhana upma.recipe was interesting. I prepare cutlets with sabudhana. I soak the sago for a few hours, and squeeze dry completely. Then I boil some potatoes, and add the mashed potatoes to the sabudhana, toss in some finely chopped onion, green chilli and curry leaves, add some chilli powder, jeera powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder and salt. Can also add some coarsely ground peanuts. Shape into cutlets and deep fry. This tastes great with green chutney, and makes a wonderful evening snack!
I also like your drop down links/subheadings. how did you do them?

1:17 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Rg, sometimes I add red chilies too.It is more spicy when I add green chilies:) I think tomato makes a big difference, the curry becomes little sour, you can also add tamarind instead of tomato:)

4:12 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Pritya, good to see that my pictures brought back your honeymoon memories:) Me and my husband love to travel but not so often:) Hey thanks for sharing sabudhana cutlet recipe:) Will try sometime and post it. Regarding the drop down link I did some html stuffs in my tempelet settings.

Your website looks fabulous:) I have "samyal" book, came as a gift for our marriage:)

4:20 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home