Tuesday, August 22, 2006

 

Kozhi Porichathu (Fried Chicken)


Kozhi Porichathu or Fired chicken is another popular food among Keralites; the chicken is marinated with red chili paste, rice flour, and fired in oil. I fried and broiled in the oven for sometime for more crispiness. I learned this recipe from my dad who is a great cook when it comes to non-vegetarian recipes. My dad had hard time managing me and my sister when it comes to cooking chicken legs. I always wanted chicken legs to be deep fried and more crisper. My sister always wanted the chicken legs to be cooked well and she hates deep frying and crispiness. Most of the time my dad always cooked the way I wanted and my sister always felt that my dad is partial to me though I fail in all the exams. My sister has always been the outstanding student in her studies and me on the other side, I hate books and school :( but still I am the dad’s child. I would say it is an ever lasting fight even now, she always feel my dad pets me a lot compared to her. Well these things started from such small issues and she takes it serious! When I make such recipes I go back to the treasured moments of our childhood and feel happy about it :) oops!!! I think I am getting emotional now- let me go on to recipe :)

To marinate the chicken

  • Wash the chicken with salt thoroughly and add ½ tsp of turmeric powder and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
  • Add 3- 4 tsp of ginger-garlic paste, 2 tsp red chili powder, salt for taste, ½ turmeric, ½ tsp pepper powder, and 1tsp tandoori masala (optional), 1 tsp rice flour and marinate overnight or for 1 hr in the refrigerator.

Method

  • Heat the non-stick pan at medium heat and add 4- 5 tsp of oil. Add the chicken drumsticks one by one and cover the lid. Cook for 25- 30 minutes by flipping the chicken legs now and then every few minutes for the chicken to cook thoroughly.

  • Broil the oven at high and broil for 4 minutes one side and again broil the other side of the chicken for another 4 minutes.

Serve hot with rice or have as starters :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Raji said...

Dear Priya,

I tried your ven pongal and just wanted to tell you that it tasted amazing. Thank you for the wonderful recipe. I'm a vegetarian, so will not be trying this one:-)

8:59 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your current template. The chicken looks yummy :).

3:07 PM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hey u have made fried chicken with riceflour and without curd.. sounds interesting ...sure is a different one!!!

9:29 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Prema, You can also add curd or lime to this when you make. Sometime I add lime or curd.....sometimes I skip---still it comes good:)

10:09 PM   Edit
Blogger Sudha said...

That looks lovely priya..im gonna try this soon.Thanks for sharing..

7:19 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Thanks Raji for letting me know:)
Thanks Shilpa, Prema, sudhav for your comments:)

10:35 PM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

HAI THE RECIPIE LOOOKS YUMMY BUT I DUNNO HOW TO BROIL IT. I HAVE A CONVENTIONAL OVEN. CAN U ENLIGHTEN ME ON THIS??? THANKS

12:01 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Brindha--- Hmm!! I don't have an idea about conventional oven, if the oven has broil mode just switch on, keep it lo or hi for 3-4 minutes to pre-heat the broiler, and broil 4 mins each side....

3:44 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home