Thursday, August 17, 2006

 

Ribbon Pakoda : Savoury Snack

Yesterday I was chatting with my friend about Shree Krishna Jayanthi. As we were discussing, the topic went to the dishes we make for the festivals. She mentioned about Ribbon Pakoda, which they make for the festivals. I was all interested to know about it and got the recipe from her. I was enlightened by the recipe, since we have to use only rice flour and besan flour. The recipe was very simple to make, hence I decided to make for the evening snack. Here goes the recipe!!!

What we need:

  • 2 cups of Rice flour, 1cup of Besan flour (Chickpeas flour), 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste (optional), 2 tsp red chili powder, 2tsp sesame seeds, 1 tsp hot oil, salt for taste, and water to mix the flour.

How to make the dough:

  • Combine rice flour, besan flour, ginger-garlic paste, sesame seeds, red chili powder, 1 tsp hot oil, and salt. Add required amount of water and make dough. Keep it aside.
  • Take small quantity of dough and insert into the cooking press and fry them in hot oil. Do this batch by batch and store it in a container. The oil should be hot when you are deep frying the pakoda.

This is my entry for weekend curry mela of Anthonys Kitchen

14 Comments:

Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Priya,
Nice "Ribbon Pakoda". Thanks for sharing. I too prepare in the same manner.

7:22 PM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi priya,
A good one. My MIL makes this ribbon pakoda very well. she makes this by grinding rice in the wetgrinder. I love this snack but since i do not have grinder here i was hesitant to make it. u have used rice flour and sounds easy. will try it

9:36 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,

This is one evening snack which we like the most!! light and yet so crunchy!

2:10 AM   Edit
Blogger Sudha said...

Hi priya, we call this as ribbon muruku and this used to be a part of our diwali snacks..This has brought back memories priya..thank you so much for sharing..

6:37 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice recipe. We make something called as 'shankarapale' which looks almost same, but we have a different recipe for it. using the press for this dish is very new to me. I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

7:26 AM   Edit
Blogger RP said...

My mom just told me over the phone that she wanted to make some ribbon pakoda. She wanted to know how I make it! After that, I was seriously craving for some ribbon pakoda, but lazy to make it. So happy to see it here. My recipe is almost the same.

9:11 AM   Edit
Blogger Vineela said...

Hi Priya,
Ribbon muruku looks yummy.I did the sameway for palakayalu by adding ghee to dough.Your snack in perfect shape.
Thanks for sharing.
Vineela

10:08 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Shilpa said, it sounds like a variation of spicy version of shankarpali. We usually roll it out and cut it into diamond shapes and deep fry it. This is a neat way of doing it!

4:15 PM   Edit
Blogger Meena Kandlakuti said...

H priya,

this is good recipe for snaks all the time.Tea and this pakora goes well hand in hand.Thanks for sharing.

12:33 PM   Edit
Blogger Shah cooks said...

i haven't had this in years. my mom used to make this. how long does the whole process take? i am thinking of attempting it. thanks.

5:49 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom too makes it but i totally forgot this crunchy snack. Iam going to do it this evening using your recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

2:37 PM   Edit
Blogger KA said...

Ribbon pakoda looks yummy! They look perfect, mine never comeout so good.

7:36 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too love ribbon pakodas..nice one to go with evening tea ..and iurs look yummy and crispy..

10:53 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Thanks Menu today,Suma,rp,manisha, meena, tasty cooks,& Annita for leaving comments:)

Prema, Now you can try the recipe using the rice flour:)

Sudhav, I was wondering why they call as pakoda...ribbon murukku sounds good:)

Shilpa, do share "shankarapale" recipe in your blog:)

Vineela, I think many orgins has the same dish, but they call it in different names :)

Shaheen, This is very simple to make... i took 30 minutes for me to complete the whole process. I just made little for two of us:)This proportion would last for a week for two:) I still have some stock:)

KA, try this recipe and let me know how it came for you:)

1:15 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home