Wednesday, September 06, 2006

 

Silver Pomfret Fry ( Avoli Porichathu )

Recently while talking to my friend I came to know that pomfrets are available at Ranch Market. Usually I buy fish from the American grocery stores and I always end up buying salmon, cat fish, prawns, and shrimp. Pomfrets are one of my favorites and my dad use to make this at least once in a month. This fish were not available in the hometown where I lived back in India. So my dad used to drive to the market and buy these fish and they used to be very expensive :( I went crazy seeing them at Ranch market and picked few to make this week. Here goes the recipe!!!

To Marinate

  • Mix 3- 4 tsp of ginger –garlic paste, 1-2 tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp turmeric, ½ pepper powder, 1tsp fish masala (optional), and 1-2 tsp salt. Mix everything to a paste.
  • Clean the pomfret by making a slit at the side and take out the intestines. Wash with salt and turmeric. Make few slits on both sides of the fish with knife. Apply the paste all over the fish and allow to marinate for 1 hr in the fridge.

Method

  • Heat the pan at low heat with 5-6 tsp of oil.
  • Once the oil gets hot add the fish and let it cook for 5 minutes. Turn the fish to the other side and let to cook for another 5 minutes. Do the process twice for each side and cook for about 20 minutes covered.
  • Be very careful while turning the fish, the fish can easily break into pieces, so handle with care.
Serve hot with rice :)

See fellow blogger recipes of Pomfret Fry

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Priya! This looks so yummy, IO'm hungry already!

11:16 PM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi Priya,
pomfret fry is tempting...

4:31 AM   Edit
Blogger Deepa Culinary World said...

Hi priya,

The fish looks very yummy,It tells me to dig in.

wait let me see wheather I can take it.good job priya.

6:05 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you beleive it if I say I prepared the same dish this sunday? i tasted heavenly. We get all kinds of fish and crabs in Chinese market here. They are very fresh. So I never buy any fish from american stores :).

7:25 AM   Edit
Blogger KA said...

Priya
Fish looks really good.

12:43 PM   Edit
Blogger FH said...

I don't eat fish, but I could use the same masala with other meat, can't I ? I will try , thank you..

2:01 PM   Edit
Blogger FH said...

I don't eat fish, but I could use the same masala with other meat, can't I ? I will try , thank you..

2:02 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Asha, You can use the same masala for Chicken, prawns, and shrimp.. I am not sure for other meats:)

3:09 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya the fish looks so yummy..thanks for sharing...

3:35 PM   Edit
Blogger indosungod said...

Fish fry looks abolutely delicious. I want to have a taste, I am going pomfret shopping this weekend.

6:44 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya, i was justing going through the recipes...the first 5 menu boxees arent working..can u pls fix it..

1:31 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Sudha thanks for letting me know.... some codes work well in Firefox some doesn't work in IE. I have fixed the errors... it works in IE as well as Firfox:)

Thanks Meena, Prema, Monisha, Deepa, KA, indosungod for dropping comments:)

Shilpa, I envy you:(

7:26 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful marinade and fish fry. i too like pomfret but the black one more.where exactly do u buy it from?here on the east coast, we get it at chinese supermarkets.

8:56 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Shaheen, I got from Ranch Market:)

11:07 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home