Kerala Style Sambar
Sambar is a lentil based dish common in
What you need
- Vegetables: Cooked potatoes, egg plant, drumstick, okra, and carrot (You can add any veggies you like)
- Lime Size tamarind soaked in warm water
- 1 cup toor dal pressure cooked with turmeric, mash the dal to a smooth paste.
- Sauté handful of coriander seeds (4-5 tsp of coriander seeds), asafetida, and 4-5 red chilies in a pan without oil and keep aside. In the same pan sauté 4-5 tsp of shredded coconut until it turns to brown color.
- Grind coriander seeds, asafetida, red chilies, coconut, and 1 tomato into a paste.
- In a pan add oil; sauté mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves.
- Add handful of chopped shallots or pearl onions and sauté until it turns translucent.
- Add the vegetable and little water and cover cook them for few minutes .Add the tamarind water and cook for few minutes.
- Add the boiled potatoes, cooked dal, and sambar masala paste.
- Mix everything and add required salt for taste. Cook in Medium heat for another 10 minutes and turn off the heat.
- You can also add red chili powder as per your taste before cooking.