Tuesday, August 29, 2006

 

Idiyappam (Rice Noodles)

Idiyappam is one dish I make quite often at home for breakfast or dinner. It takes less time to make and very tasty to eat. Idiyappam and Stew or Idiyappam and Chicken curry are the best combo for me. My mom makes Idiyappam in a hard way; she soaks rice in water for some hours then dries it, then grinds it to make fine powder. Since we are comforted with all the flours why to do the hard way!! Here goes the recipe :)

Method

  • Mix 1 cup of rice flour with required warm water and salt.
  • Knead into smooth dough. Apply little oil over the dough and insert into the cooking press.
  • Put a small quantity of dough into the “cooking press" and press it on the idly moulds greased with oil. Add grated coconut on top of the idiyappam.
  • Steam the idly cooker for 8-10 minutes.

Serve hot with the curry you like:) I had it with Vegetable Kurma.

This is my entry for Weekend Breakfast Blogging #4 hosted by Pavani

Look for Idiyappam recipes from fellow bloggers
Tastycooks
Towards a Better Tomorrow
Salt and Pepper

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,

Yours is the first idiyappam recipe I've seen using rice flour rather than grinding rice - I will definitely try it now. Thanks for sharing this :)

10:21 PM   Edit
Blogger Sudha said...

Priya, i love idiyappam's..im coming over there for the breakfast..ok..thanks for sharing..

7:07 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya,

This looks simple.. I do the traditional way & hence pretty rare. Will try this soon.

8:08 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,
Your recipe is so simple and easy. Thanks for sharing. Will make it soon.....

11:03 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very simple method priya :). I make them with a very elaborate procedure. Next time I will try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

11:43 AM   Edit
Blogger Vaishali said...

Priya,
I prepared snake gourd using your Thoran recipe today. Yum yum :) Thanks for sharing it. I am sure gonna make it often now.

12:23 PM   Edit
Blogger Vineela said...

Hi Prya,
Iddiappam looks fluffy.Thanks for sharing.
Vineela

1:32 PM   Edit
Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

I am sooo lazy, I buy the rice noodles from Chinese store and make idiyappam when I crave for it. This sounds a lot easier, I will try it

2:29 PM   Edit
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Priya,
What rice flour you used?? Processed or plain??? I used to make idiyappam with processed rice flour. In Singapore we get ready made idiyappam flour.

7:19 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

MT, I used the normal Plain rice flour:) I haven't seen processed rice flour here at my Gorcery store:)

8:13 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya, very nice picture.

8:39 PM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi priya,
I never make Idiappams as it is a tough work and sometimes it turns out hard.Iusually buy the frozen one. Ur recipe is easy to make.Thanks for the recipe.

10:48 PM   Edit
Blogger Chandrika said...

Priya, I wanted to make Idiyappam for a long time, but kept postponing it due to the tedious preparation...But your recipe is so simple and hence I am going to make it for our Saturday breakfast. Thank you so much.

11:13 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds easy. I do it the long way!

12:17 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home