Friday, October 20, 2006

 

Murukku

Back home Diwali was never celebrated in big way, and I always envied seeing others. Diwali celebrations in Kerala are on the low keys and my family adopted the same. It was always Onam and Vishu (Kerala New year) was celebrated in a big way at my place though I was brought up at Coimbatore. Slowly after many years my mom started making this snack (murukku) for Diwali. My memories of Diwali would be just this delicious snack, which my mom makes for us. Seeing all the blogs with the delicious sweets and savories I thought I would post this snack for Diwali. Here goes the recipe!!

Ingredients

  • 4cups of rice flour
  • 1 cup of roasted chana (made into a powder) or Gram flour or chickpeas flour
  • 3 tablespoon butter
  • Handful of sesame seeds
  • 6tsp of red chili powder
  • 1 tsp of cumin seeds, and ajwain seeds
  • Salt for taste and water to knead

Method

  • Mix rice flour, roasted chana powder, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, ajwain seeds, red chili powder, sesame seeds and salt. Soften the butter and work into the mixture to form a crumbly mixture. Add water into small quantities and knead into soft dough.
  • Use murukku maker, place in a lump of dough and pipe out the patterns, forming circles. I placed the patterns in the plate first.
  • Heat oil under medium high heat. Use sufficient quantity of oil to submerge all frying murukkus without touching each other. Transfer the murukkus from the plate to the hot oil.
  • Fry to light golden brown color.
  • Remove the murukku from oil and place on a paper towel to drain the surplus oil.
  • Allow them to cool and store them in a container.

My contribution to Vee of Past, Present and Me for JFI-Diwali Treats.

Wishing you all a Happy Diwali:)

Labels: , , , , , ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,

Shubha Deepavali to you and your family!

Thanks for participating in JFI with this mouthwatering krum..krum.. crunchy entry.:) My mother also prepares chakli (muruku) for Deepavali. It's a Deepavali tradition for us growing up.

Kerala Girl also mentioned the same thing in my blog that Deepavali is not that a big celebration in Kerala. I didn't know that before.

12:30 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Murukku looks great!!
Happy Diwali Priya!!

12:53 AM   Edit
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Priya,
Nice Pic. Thank u so much for your Murukku treat. Wishing you and your family members "Happy Diwali"

1:45 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice recipe for Murukku Priya !

Happy Diwali to you and your family !

10:23 AM   Edit
Blogger archana said...

Happy Deepavali Priya

11:05 PM   Edit
Blogger FH said...

Happy Diwali, Priya! Chaklis looks great and I was hoping to see some goodies from you ! Thanks for this and have a great one !!:)

4:30 AM   Edit
Blogger Mamatha said...

Priya,
Happy Deepavali to you and your family.

7:49 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,
Happy Diwali to you and family.

10:14 AM   Edit
Blogger FH said...

I left a comment yesterday,don't know whether you recieved it!

Happy Diwali!!I am sure you had a great day yesterday, yummy chaklis there..thanks!

12:57 PM   Edit
Blogger UJ said...

Happy Diwali!

9:09 PM   Edit
Blogger Maneka Nirmal said...

priya ,dope u had a wonderful diwali..

3:03 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My all time favorite snack,Priya..Looks soo delicious..

8:22 AM   Edit
Blogger Luv2cook said...

Hey Priya -

A very happy Diwali to you. I have heard from my Mallu and Tamil freinds that Diwali wasn't huge for them. Never knew about that myself...

I made murkku too but my recipe is a little different hmm....

8:27 AM   Edit
Blogger Krithika said...

Lovely murukkus. THanks for sharing

11:07 AM   Edit
Blogger Mrs. K said...

Prefect murukkus!
Belated Diwali wishes to you and family.

5:43 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I first celebrated when I went to Delhi as a student. Those murukku look perfect. Always wanted to make those but seemed too hard. I once made pakkavada, seems like it is the same process.

7:57 AM   Edit
Blogger KA said...

Murukku looks scrumptious Priya! Beautiful display.

6:34 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks lovely Priya! you've got wonderful, uniform little murukkus. They look so cruncy and delicious!

cheers!

11:17 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely, Lovely murukku's. How can you not love them???

Belated Happy Diwali and thanks for participating!!!

5:19 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya, don't these look delicious! I should not be browsing blogs when I am having a snack attack... wish I could have one now :)

8:43 PM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

lovely murrukkus Priya.. Hope u had a great diwali

2:23 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home