Tuesday, December 12, 2006

 

Coconut Burfi

It’s been quite sometime that I participated in blog events. When I read Ashwini’s JFI for coconut , and VKN’s You Can Cook for FAHC Campaign I thought of posting this treasured recipe. I learnt this recipe from my mom, which is quite simple to make and is a delicious dessert. This recipe requires little bit of patience and the end result is worth mentioning. Here goes the recipe!!!

Ingredients

  • 2 cups of coconut scrapped
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • ½ cup of water
  • 2-3 cardamom crushed to powder
  • 1tbsp of ghee or butter to grease the pan or you can use the foil to avoid ghee or butter

Method

  • Add water and sugar and cook in medium heat for 18- 20 minutes until the sugar syrup thickens.
  • Add the scrapped coconut mixed with cardamom powder to the sugar syrup and cook in medium heat. Cook until the consistency becomes thick and proportion is reduced. This will take 15- 18 minutes.
  • Grease a flat pan with ghee or spread the aluminum foil in a flat pan and pour the mixture and level it using a spatula. After 5 minutes cut them into shapes and allow them to cool for 1 – 2 hours.
  • Once the burfi cools down and becomes little harder, you can cut them into pieces and store them in a container.

Notes:

Try to use fresh coconut since the end result will be great

Sugar can vary according to preference, I used one cup, you can add 1 ¼ cup or more.

For more shelf life, store in the refrigerator.

I used aluminum foil, to avoid ghee, and cleaning :)

My contribution to VCC Q4 2006 - You Can Cook for FAHC Campaign

and JFI for coconut


13 Comments:

Blogger Shah cooks said...

weird. i just finished making coconut burfi and saw ur post!

7:00 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya said...

The burfi looks yummmmmy Priya, the one my mother makes looks exactly like these !! Wichj I could grab one from the bowl, or well since I am imagining it all, why not take the whole bowl aw well !!!

Done with the exam week !! waiting for holiday recipes from you :-)

7:55 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya...great recipe, I do like burfis and a million thanks for supporting the FAHC project, you are very kind...~smile~

3:15 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have my fingers crossed; I hope my comment goes through this time.... thank you so much for sending an entry to JFI. And with my favorite sweet too ;-) Cheers!
- Ashwini

9:45 PM   Edit
Blogger jayakarthik said...

even i prepare the sameway
i will post this burfy in my blog n tag the recipe to urs
thanks for sharing it

4:25 PM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

Looks delicious priya...

4:49 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice pics Priya and the burfi looks yummy.

5:00 PM   Edit
Blogger Krithika said...

Lovely coconut burfis.

7:00 AM   Edit
Blogger KA said...

Priya
Great entry for JFI! Nice picture!

8:51 AM   Edit
Blogger Seema Bhat said...

Priya, I am here thro JFI and coconut burfi is my hubby's all time fav. Its so easy to make and is yet so tasty isn't it?
Thanx
Seema

1:11 PM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

great recipe priya.....can potato be added to the syrup? if yes when do I add it?

8:51 AM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

hey, I was wondering if potatoes can be added to the burfi? if yes when?

8:52 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Abhijeet, sorry, I haven't tried doing the burfi with potatoes:(

10:21 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home