Sunday, April 08, 2007

 

Potato Bonda

Sometimes some recipes go off your mind for a while and suddenly you start to crave for it. One of the recipes was bonda to me- spiced potato balls dipped in gram flour batter and deep fried in oil. This appetizer is scrumptious and you can have anytime, but for me its a perfect tea time snack. You can try this recipe with tapioca, sweet potato, boiled egg, or with minced meat. Here goes the recipe!!!

Method

  • Peel 3 potatoes and cut into small chunks; arrange them in a microwave safe dish and sprinkle 2tbsp of water and cover cook for 4-5 minutes. Once done, smash the potatoes before it becomes cold.
  • In a pan, add 2 tsp of olive oil, cumin seeds, curry leaves, ½ onion chopped finely, 2 green chilies finely chopped, 1tsp of ginger paste or ginger chopped, and finally add the smashed potatoes, little turmeric and salt to taste, saute them well and turn off the heat.
  • Allow them to cool and make small balls with your hands.
For the batter
  • Take 1 cup of gram flour (chickpea flour), 1tsp chili powder, 1tbsp rice flour, little asafetida, and salt to taste. Mix all the ingredients to a thick paste with the required amount of water. Allow it to rest for 15 minutes

Last step

  • Heat oil, dip the balls into the batter and deep fry them.

Serve hot with chutneys or tomato sauce.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger FH said...

I love this coconut chutney.We call bombay bonda in B'lore.I haven't made it in a long time.Thanks Priya:)

5:37 AM   Edit
Blogger marriedtoadesi.com said...

I love potato bonda. A real childhood favourite for me. The pics made my mouth water!

9:17 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well thats the famous vada of vada pav in Mumbai..feel like grabbing those!!

9:53 PM   Edit
Blogger Viji said...

This is perfect in shape Priya. Nice picture. Viji

10:01 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya, I know what you mean. It happens to me too that all of a sudden I crave for something I ate long back. I love potato bondas. Yours looks round.

11:13 PM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi Priya,
I too make this the same way and love it.

2:02 PM   Edit
Blogger Food DB said...

Hi Priya,

Nice work done. I would like to get some help & contribution in a Food & Recipe portal we are developing.

Please contact me offline.

-Vidhyasagar

5:09 PM   Edit
Blogger Sharmi said...

I love potato bondas, long time since I have had them.
btw Wish you and ur family a very happy vishu!!

warmly
sharmi

10:00 PM   Edit
Blogger Pravs said...

Happy Vishu Priya ! Beautiful picture of vishu kanni.Palada pradhaman !! OMG ! I wish i could taste it now.

9:17 AM   Edit
Blogger Sumitha said...

Priya Vishu ashamsakal to you too!Couldnt post a comment there.Nalla oru kanni orukal aanu,sadya adipoli:)

9:49 AM   Edit
Blogger Ayesha Seerin said...

I love those bondas .. i guess thats why i am like one of them :-).. Its been long since i had it .. craving for it now..

8:27 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love potato bonda! Potato Bonda bada karo!

I miss potato bonda that my wife is an expert in making though she stopped making because of my heart problem.(:

I wish I can steal one from your blog. It looks yummy!

8:20 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home