This morning all of a sudden I thought about the RCI event and thought I would contribute some recipe for the event and came up with Thayir vadai aka Dahi vada. Here goes the recipe!!!!
- Soak 1 cup of Urad dal in water for 4 hours or overnight. Grind the Urad dal to a smooth paste without water with 1tsp of ginger, 3 green chilies, 1tbsp rice flour, little asafoetida, and salt.
- Heat the oil in a pan, place a plastic sheet (zip lock works best) in your palm and wet the plastic sheet with little water.
- Place a spoon of urad dal batter on the plastic sheet and press into a flat shape with help of your hand and make a small hole in the middle (just like a doughnut)
- Drop the vada’s into the oil and deep fry them until it turns light brown. Arrange the vada’s in a flat tray.
- Beat 2 cups of curd with little salt to a smooth liquid, if the curd is too thick you can add little water. Pour the curd over the vada’s and cover them completely. Refrigerate the soaked vada’s for 3- 4 hrs. While serving garnish with chopped cilantro, carrots, boondi, chat masala or red chili powder as per your taste.
This is my entry for RCI - Tamil Cuisine Event.