Monday, December 05, 2005

 

Venn Pongal

I haven’t made pongal for a long time. Thinking of what to do for dinner? Takes away most of my time. Most of the time I end up making Dosa or Idly. For change I made pongal for dinner. I learned this recipe from my mom.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Rice
  • 1 cup Moong Dal
  • 1tsp Ginger
  • 1tsp Cumin
  • 1 tsp Pepper corns
  • 4-5 Curry leaves
  • Ghee 2tsp
  • 31/2 cup Water
  • 2-3 tsp Cashews
  • 1 tsp Salt















Method:
Clean and wash the moongdal and rice. In a pressure cooker, add 2-3tsp of oil, cumin, pepper corns, cashews and sauté them for a minute. Now add the ginger, curry leaves and sauté them altogether. Add the rice, moongdal, water and salt to the cooker. In a medium heat, cook until 1 whistle comes up. Remove from the heat after 1 whistle. Wait until release of the pressure of the cooker. Open the pressure cooker, add the ghee and mix them together. Serve hot with smabhar and chutney.

8 Comments:

Blogger Swamy VKN said...

This looks fantastic Priya - the Venn Pongal of Kovai, Tamil Nadu from California. Wow! I have read many of your comments at Mahanandi. Welcome you to the blog club. I have already liked to my monster list of Indian food bloggers. Cheers!

3:40 AM   Edit
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

I mean "linked" - for spelling police :-)

3:42 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Thanks vkn for your nice words. I just added my favourite links in my blog.

12:29 PM   Edit
Blogger Shammi said...

Pongal looks yum!

2:19 PM   Edit
Blogger Mamatha said...

Hi Priya, nice blog. Here's a tip - use 1 cup of milk and 2 1/2 cups of water - makes the pongal taste like its ccoked in ghee.

10:35 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

hey faffer that is something new to me, Will try for sure next time.

11:17 AM   Edit
Blogger Deepak Vasudevan said...

@Priya,

Thank for this valuable post.Pongal is really nice and easy too cook for newbies to kitchen stuff. I have discussed in brief about it over here.

1:09 PM   Edit
Blogger Deepak Vasudevan said...

@Priya,

As I mentioned in my previous comment in your blog post, your Venn Pongal again helped in Tamil New Year (Sarvajit) 2007 too. I have discussed this here.

I wish you a 'Happy Tamil New Year 2007' too and would love to see more recipes for me to try out. :)

4:44 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home