Tuesday, December 06, 2005

 

Moong Dal Curry

Today I made green beans (moong dal) curry for lunch. This is called pachai payir in Tamilnadu. I love green beans since it is healthy and it has lots of proteins. This recipe I learnt from my mom. This recipe goes well with rice and chapathi.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup moong dal
  • ½ onion chopped into small pieces
  • 1 ripe tomato cut into small pieces
  • 2 pods of garlic cut into small pieces
  • 1tsp ginger
  • 4 green chilies
  • 4 curry leaves
  • 1tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • 1tsp mustard
  • 1tsp salt
















Method:

Soak the moong dal overnight. Cook the moong dal with turmeric in a vessel or in a pressure cooker. For 1 cup moong dal, add two glasses of water. I cooked the moong dal in a pressure cooker. Wait for three whistles to come up in the cooker and release the weight and mash them lightly with a spoon.

In a pan, add 2 tsp of oil, mustard, cumin, curry leaves, green chilies, garlic and ginger and sauté them for a minute. Add onions and sauté them until it turns brown. Add the tomato pieces, sauté them until they become soft. Now add the cooked moong dal, salt and ¼ cup of water. Cook them covered for about 10-15 mins.

Serve with rice and pappad or chapathi


2 Comments:

Blogger Shammi said...

I like moong dal - I make it pretty much this way myself, except I dont bother soaking it. It isnt even necessary when you use a pressure cooker. Check out my recipe:

http://srefoodblog.blogspot.com/2005/08/back-to-basics-whole-green-gram-dal.html

11:39 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hey I read your back to basic recipes. That sounds interesting. All these days I have been doing it by soaking and cooking in the pressure cooker. Thanks for the info shammi was very useful.

8:02 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home