Thursday, December 08, 2005

 

Spinach and Potato Curry ( Aloo Palak )

Spinach is a rich source of iron and it also contains more protein than most vegetables.Spinach is always part of my grocery list when I do my weekly shopping. Today I made Aloo palak which is one my favorite dish. I love eating with chapattis and parathas.













Ingredients:

  • Spinach 1 bunch
  • 2 potatoes
  • 1 Onion cut into small pieces
  • 3-4 garlic pods
  • Small piece of ginger
  • 3-4 green chilies
  • ½ tsp red chili powder
  • 1tsp of coriander powder, cumin powder
  • 1tsp of garam masala
  • 1tsp of cumin and turmeric
  • Salt to taste
Method:

















In a pan, add the garlic, ginger, green chilies, onions with tsp of oil and sauté them. Add the spinach and cook them. Turn off the heat. After it cools down run into a mixer or a blender.

Boil the potatoes and cut into cubes. Add turmeric, salt and mix them.

Take 1tsp of oil in a pan and sauté the cumin seeds. Once the cumin splutters add the spinach paste and let it boil for few minutes. Now add the boiled potatoes, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, and salt for taste. Add water only if it is needed. Cook for 5-10 mins covered until the potato absorbs the flavor.

Serve hot with chapattis.



8 Comments:

Blogger Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Wow Priya,

This looks so awesome. I am definitely gonna try it. I love green vegetables a lot... & this recipe looks delicious.

Tina

7:23 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Will post soon meena.

Thanks tina. Let me know how it came for you.

10:25 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya!

I'm pretty late in posting this comment. I was basically looking for a blogger's aloo palak recipe on the net and I found yours.

I tried it out and it came out really well, I should tell you. Simple and tasty!!

Thanks a lot!
Sushma

6:18 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

sushma,
I am late in responding too-- I like this recipe for the simple process--i am happy that you enjoyed it

8:29 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,

I stumbled upon your blog after doing a search on google seeking for Punjabi recipes. I saw this Aloo Palak recipe and decided to try it out. I made it yday for dinner with hot chappatis and paranthas. It turned out very well. My husband and mother in law loved it! Your instructions were so easy to follow. Thanks for sharing it.

Regards,
Reena, Malaysia

6:03 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Thanks for letting me know Reena..glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the recipe:)

8:38 PM   Edit
Blogger Swapna said...

Hey,
I just made this for dinner and it turned awesome. Thanks for the lovely recipe.

5:56 PM   Edit
Blogger meetkv said...

Hey Priya,

I am a guy but fond of cooking. Living in Gibralatar - away from my family. Great opportunity to horn my culinary skills and your blog makes it that much easier for me.

One of the things that I prepare often here to rave appreciations of my female colleagues and my male colleagues wives is Aloo Palak. You really make the receipe look simple and attemptable.

Thanks again
Venkat

7:45 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home