Monday, December 12, 2005

 

Spicy Roasted Chick -Peas

According to the wikipedia, the name "chickpea" derives eventually from the Latin name cicer through the French chiche. The name Cicero is derived from this plant. "Garbanzo" is from the Spanish language. It is also called chana dhal.

This recipe is one of my husband’s favorite. This recipe came to my mind after meena reminding me about her “From My Rasoi” event from Hooked-on-Heat blog. I thought this recipe would be perfect since it is spicy and it’s a good snack for the winter. The roasted chickpeas can be stored and kept in a container. I do this snack often in more quantity. The roasted chickpeas cost about 3 dollars in the Indian stores. This recipe goes for meena for her event..

Ingredients:

  • 1 can chick- peas
  • 3 tsp olive oil or (regular oil)
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp chili powder (to taste)
  • 1 Lime cut into wedges













Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Rinse and drain the chick- peas thoroughly in colander under plenty of running water. Shake until fairly dry. You can use the normal dry chickpeas too. Soak chickpeas overnight and cook them in microwave for about 10 mins. The chickpeas should not be over cooked. Dry the chickpeas in a cloth or paper towel. Do not pressure cook the chickpeas.
  2. Combine chickpeas, olive oil or (regular oil) salt, black pepper and chili powder in a large baking pan that will hold chickpeas in single layer.
  3. Bake 15minutes or until chick peas begin to brown, shaking pan twice to brown evenly.
  4. Remove pan and season with chili powder, black pepper and salt for taste. Bake on additional 5 minutes until dark golden red.
Serve with lime wedges.

14 Comments:

Blogger Mamatha said...

I like this. Am adding this recipe to my "To cook before the year ends" list.

1:55 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Let me know how it came in your kitchen faffer.

1:56 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,

Gonna try this, tempting........

8:58 PM   Edit
Blogger sailu said...

Gonna cook some chole tonite.:)
Thanks for sharing your recipe,Priya.

4:24 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great recipe priya, iam definetely gonna try this recipe. Shall give u the feedback soon. Thanx for the recipe

9:27 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Thanks for visiting courtney. Your website looks awesome!!

Deepa, Sailu ,and Priya let me know how it came in your kitchen.

10:26 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya!

We always exchange recipes over fone.. now its great that you have started you own blog.. I am pretty excited!

keep blogging :)

1:50 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Thanks anitha. You can see my recipes in blog hereafter since you are busy at work now.

2:30 PM   Edit
Blogger Doc said...

Priya ponney;)
Did come across your blog long time back but too lazy to leave a comment;))) Just to inform you that you have been tagged by the mafia for a meme....check it out here: http://selfstyledchef.blogspot.com/2005/12/you-are-what-you-eat-meme-my-top-10.html
luv&rgds
gts

9:09 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice, simple and tasty-looking recipe that even I can make! I like chickpeas. Thanks for the recipe.

Best,
Paz

9:48 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Thanks Doc for tagging me.

Paz this is simple and easy recipe. Let me know your experience.

12:34 PM   Edit
Blogger Kay said...

Hey, that's a healthy recipe and my kinda snack! :) I AM going to try it very soon.

12:24 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,
I JUST made these because I was craving a healthy, Indian snack. They are so good - thanks for posting this recipe. I tweaked it a bit by putting some lemon jest (didn't have lime) in the mixture before baking, so it came out a bit tangy and spicy. Thanks for sharing this!

4:54 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

payal, it was nice to hear that it turned out well. Hope you and your family enjoyed this recipe.

7:53 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home