Tuesday, January 03, 2006

 

Kuska Biriyani














I had this recipe in my friend’s house. I learned this recipe from her. Some people use tomato to enhance the taste. You can try this recipe using coconut milk also to make it delicious. Kuska rice is similar to Ghee rice. This recipe is bland and easy to make. I had kuska rice with Gobi masala was a great accompaniment.

Ingredients: Recipe for two

  • 1 cup Basmati Rice
  • 1tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 pieces of cinnamon sticks
  • 2-3 bay leaves
  • 2-3 cloves
  • 3 pods of garlic finely chopped
  • 4 green chilies
  • ½ cup of mint leaves
  • Salt for taste

Method

Heat 3 tsp of ghee and 2tsp of regular oil in the rice cooker pan. Sauté cumin seeds, cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves. Add the garlic and green chilies and sauté until the raw flavor goes off. Add the mint leaves and sauté for 2 minutes and add the basmati rice, 2 cups of water and 1 tsp of salt. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer to the rice cooker and plug on the cooker. Serve with any kurma or onion raita.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,

Tnx for posting such a lovely recipe..I am so fond of ghee rice, warm ghee rice with spicy chicken curry yummy....., but have not yet got the recipe around to try it out...I have added this in my "must try out" list......:))

9:41 PM   Edit
Blogger Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

wow Priya... thats so simple & tasty..

6:44 AM   Edit
Blogger Known Stranger said...

good.. a nice blog to end up . good.. let me try one cookery of your every week on a sunday. let me see, how good i learn new recipe.

8:05 AM   Edit
Blogger Anbae said...

Hai Priya,
don know whats happneing with my friend, for the past three days, he s reading all ur posts and planned to try out every thing.

Yesterday v tried for murrukku and it came out very tasty.. Today we noted this recepi.. sure we wud have the tasty kuska biriyani prepared for our 2morrow's lunch.. hmm thankx priya..

6:29 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Deepa, This rice is perfect with chicken curry. I love that combo.

Tina let me how it turned for you.

Hi Vaishnav! Thanks for stopping by. Let me know how it came in your kitchen.

Anbae, I appreciate you guys. Convey my thanks to your friend for trying out the recipes. Happy to hear that murukku turned out yummy. Let me know how kuska rice turned out for lunch:)

7:09 PM   Edit
Blogger interfer--on said...

Priya,

Da actual "Kushka" is briyani sans meal pieces.......some ppl want to eat da aromatic rice cooked with the meat n the flavour of it, but without the pieces...a easy way for vegetarians to savour non-veg dishes n not to feel guilty ;)))

8:04 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Why the name 'kuska'?

3:46 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Baskaran, That's a lot of information on Kuska rice:) thanks:)

LG, I am not sure about the origin and how it was named as kuska rice. You can read the comment of Baskaran, it has information about kuska rice:)

10:26 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home