Tuesday, December 27, 2005

 

Veggie Balls - Appetizer

After seeing VKN’s kheema vada recipe from “My dhaba“ I was tempted to make something with vegetables instead of meat. Since my husband is a vegetarian, I wanted to try out something with vegetables. I tried veggie balls with the available veggies at home, which is similar to Vkn’s recipe Kheema vadai aka croquette.

Ingredients: Recipe for two
  • 1 Big Potato, 1 Carrot, Few florets of broccoli
  • ½ onion chopped into small pieces
  • ½ cup of celantro finely chopped
  • 4-5 mint leaves finely chopped (optional)
  • 1tsp ginger garlic paste
  • 3 Green chilies finely chopped
  • ½ tsp red chili powder
  • ½ tsp pepper powder
  • A pinch of turmeric
  • 1 cup of Breadcrumbs
  • Salt for taste

Method

Cook the potato, carrot and broccoli in a pressure cooker or microwave. You can use any vegetables as per your taste.

Heat 1tsp of oil in a frying pan, add the onions, ginger garlic paste and sauté them until the onion becomes brown color. Now add the potatoes, carrot, broccoli, green chilies, turmeric, red chili powder, pepper powder and salt and cook them for 2 – 3 minutes until the vegetable absorbs the flavor. Allow them to cool.

In a bowl put the above ingredients and add the finely chopped cilantro and mint leaves and mash all the ingredients.

Make small round balls from this mixture. Roll the veggie balls over the breadcrumbs.

Heat 2 inches of oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Fry the balls until it becomes golden brown.

Serve the veggie balls hot with tomato ketchup.

9 Comments:

Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Wonderful results Priya. Doesn't your H eat eggs? Noticed that you did not use egg batter as well.

12:10 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

He eats egg occasionally:( He is more of a veggie person:)

12:29 PM   Edit
Blogger Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Wow Priya.. that looks so tasty. I love kababs so much. I always make different kababs & freeze them in my refrigerator. But they are always of meat & fish. I can now stock on some vegetable cutlets also. Nice recipe...

1:01 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks delicious !! have to try this soon.

2:51 PM   Edit
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Very interesting.! I'll check this out this weekend.!! Looks Yummy.!!

3:14 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

yeah Tina here after you can stock the veggie balls and make it fresh when you want to eat:)

Priya tell me how it turned out for you.

Hello narayanan good to see you after your break :) Thanks for stopping by:)

4:11 PM   Edit
Blogger Shiv said...

hey..nice recipes u have here..i envy your cooking..:(

1:48 AM   Edit
Blogger Verdant said...

I love kababs! Thanks for the recipe. By the way, one thing I've noticed is that the greater awareness of vegetarian foods in South Asian communities has allowed for more harmonious relations between vegetarians and non-vegetarians (at least compared to the United States). In the U.S., many of my vegetarian friends refuse to date non-vegetarians, which I think is unfortunate, as a person is so much more than just his or her diet. Mutual respect is what is important. It's good to see that you're happy to accomodate your husband's dietary preferences.

9:12 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hey Shiv I am just an amateur exploring the cooking:)

Verdant I feel that depends on different people what they want from life. Even I have seen people who gives more importance to food while choosing the life partner:) I saw your blog. I was amazed by your recipes. I have tagged you to my cooking list.

11:32 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home