Monday, December 26, 2005

 

Appam ( Rice pan cake )

Appam is one the traditional dishes of Kerala. Appam is often served with kadala (kala chana) curry, vegetable stew or coconut milk. For Christmas I made appam with kadala curry which is one of my favorites. The proportions vary from household to household. I learned this recipe from my mom. In my family we made appam almost every week in the morning for break fast. I can still remember my hostel days in Trivandrum. Appam was usally served for breakfast. Those days I didn't like appam so much, but now I like it. I will post the kadala curry soon.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups idly rice or raw rice
  • 1 cup of shredded coconut
  • 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
  • 1tsp Urad dal
  • A pinch of Baking soda
  • Salt for taste

Method

Soak the rice, fenugreek and urad dal for about 4-5hrs.

Drain the soaked rice and grind along with coconut to a thick paste. Keep the batter for 8hrs for fermentation. Once the batter is fermented add the baking soda and salt to the batter and mix the batter.

Heat a small non-stick pan which is shallow. In a spoon take the batter and pour the batter gently to the non-stick pan. Gently swirl the pan around so that a thin layer of batter covers the sides and thick layer collects at the bottom. Cover the lid and cook for 1 minute till the edges become golden crisp and centre is soft. It is only required to cook on one side of the appam.









Serve hot with kadala curry.



21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi priya,

have heard appams being made with raw rice, never tried with idly rice.....gonna try out this way next time.

9:41 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Deepa you can make with raw rice. In US, I use only idly rice to make appam. The results are the same as the raw rice.

10:06 PM   Edit
Blogger Sury said...

I love Appam! Thanks for the recipe, Priya! Would you tell me what exactly is idly rice? I am not sure I know.

Can hardly wait to try out making this recipe.

10:24 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Sury Idly rice is par boiled rice. You can also make appam with raw rice.

10:46 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi
when do u add grated coconut?

4:24 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmm, looks yummy. shall try it soon and post the feedback. waiting for ur kadala curry recipe.

10:15 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Soaked rice and coconut should be grinded together.

Priya, Let me know how it came for you. Shall post the kadala curry soon!

10:59 AM   Edit
Blogger sailu said...

One of my fav tiffins is Appam,Priya.Thanks for sharing this recipe.

4:04 AM   Edit
Blogger Kay said...

Priya, do post your kadala curry recipe sometime. I do have a recipe for kadala curry (that I make with Puttu) and would like to hear about your recipe too.

12:10 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Kay will post it soon. Share your kadala curry recipe too!! Btw, I like puttu somuch and kadala curry is the best combination.

12:33 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,

This is the recipe i was looking for.Shall try it sometime soon.


~Usha

1:28 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the kuska biryani recipe. Have been trying to get the recipe for long.
Try this site for some of my recipes: http://www.saviha.blogspot.com/.
Thanks

6:13 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,
My mother in law makes beautiful appam... since it's such work, she gave me an instant mix to make appam for my hubby. It's "Elza super instant palappam podi" but the directions on the package are in Malayalam and Arabic, neither of which I can read... do you have any idea how to make appam from a premade mix?
(since the ingredients are rice powder, coconut shavings and yeast I'm guessing just add warm water??)

Sounds like you have Kerala cooking in your veins :) I'll keep checking your blog, do you have a recipe for red chutney to eat with idli?

3:31 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hi Lina, I think these instant mixes usually comes with everything added. You can just add water and try the recipe. I tried puttu instand mix, I just added warm matter and it came out really well.Goodluck:)

6:59 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,
I love Appams but never tried on my own. Wanted to know if coconut can be skipped?

12:58 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Amrita, Coconut is important--that's the main ingredient-- I am not sure how it could come without coconut:)

1:00 PM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

hi all...
I know how to make appam.. my mom teach me before few years to make appam....
Regards
Jai

2:17 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is in response to Lina george's question on how to use the instant mix. I used Elza palappam instant mix and it came out great. You will need to mix the smal packet (yeast) with 400 ml of water. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer till it becomes a thick paste. Allow it to cool. Once cooled mix 900ml of coconut milk, the instant mix, the paste and 2tbs of sugar. Let it stand for 1 hour. Enjoy!!!

8:51 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya
I have never heard that we can add urad dal to appam. I think what what you are describing is like Dosa

7:27 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Anon, I just add Urad dal since it helps to frement...FYI--hope you read the urad dal quantity I mentioned " its 1tsp" doesn't make a difference to the taste of the Appam....for Dosa you need to add 1 cup...hope this helps....

9:51 AM   Edit
Blogger KF said...

Priya,I tried ur recipe and I got perfect appams..Thanks dear

9:03 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home