Thin- Crust Whole Wheat Veggie Pizza
- ¾ to 1-cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp quick-rise active dry yeast
- 1 ½ tsp dried basil leaves or pizza seasoning
- 1tsp olive oil or regular oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ cup no- salt added tomato sauce
- ½ cup sliced ripe olives
- ½ cup sliced zucchini
- 1/3-cup onions or green onions
- 1 large roasted red bell pepper, * cut lengthwise into thin strips or ¾ cup sliced, drained, bottled roasted red peppers
- 1cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
Combine ½ cup all- purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, yeast, pizza seasoning or basil leaves and salt. Blend oil with garlic; stir into flour mixture with water. Stir in ¼ cup all- purpose flour until, soft slightly sticky dough forms, adding remaining ¼ cup all-purpose flour to prevent sticking if necessary. Shape the dough into a ball. Cover with in container or paper towel; let it rest for 10-20 minutes
Place oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 400F. Spray 12-inch pizza pan or baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray; sprinkle with cornmeal and set aside. If you have a non- stick pan spary is not needed, corn meal alone is fine.
Roll dough into large circle on lightly floured surface. (Too much rolling makes crust heavy and dense; stretching dough to fit pan is best.
Blend tomato sauce with ½ tsp of pizza seasoning or basil leaves in small bowl; spread evenly over crust. Top with zucchini, olives, onions, roasted bell pepper and mozzarella; sprinkle crushed red pepper on top.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese melts.
* To roast bell pepper, cut length wise into halves; remove stem, membrane and seeds. Broil 3 inches from heat, skin side up, until skin is blackened and blistered. Place halves in storage bag and seal it; set aside 15 minutes. Remove pepper from bag. Peel off skin; drain on paper towel.