Monday, December 19, 2005

 

Muruku ( Snack )

I was just waiting for the college break to make muruku. My husband karthik was nagging me for a long time for this snack. To make muruku you need to have lots of patience. It consumes our time. It’s more of a physical activity. I always wonder what they call murukku in English. Is it snack twisters or crispies? Let me know if anyone knows the English name for muruku. Today I got myself free to make this snack.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups Rice flour, ½ cup Urad flour, ½ cup Besan flour
  • ½ cup Butter
  • 1-1 ½ cup water to knead
  • 2tsp red chili powder, 1tsp cumin seeds, a fistful of sesame seeds
  • Salt for taste













Method

Mix rice flour, urad flour, besan flour, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, red chili powder, sesame seeds and salt. Soften the butter and work into the mixture to form a crumbly mixture. Add water into small quantities and knead into soft dough.

















Use murukku maker, place in a lump of dough and pipe out the patterns, forming circles. I make the patterns in a plate first

















Heat oil under medium high heat. Use sufficient quantity of oil to submerge all frying murukkus without touching each other. Transfer the murukkus from the plate to the hot oil.

Fry to light golden brown color.

Remove the murukku in a spoon and place on a kitchen paper towel to drain surplus oil.

















Allow to cool and keep in dry container.



14 Comments:

Blogger Mamatha said...

Those look YUMMY! Will you please mail them out to me :)

4:08 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Thanks faffer:)

4:40 PM   Edit
Blogger sailu said...

Priya,murukku and jantikalu(andhra) are my fav savouries.Pics look good...:)

3:30 AM   Edit
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Wow! Earthy cute! I am a great fan of murukkus too.

12:53 PM   Edit
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Btw Priya, We are waiting for the authentic recipe from my mom on vatta kuzhambu to be cooked and posted just for you; just thought of telling you that we have not forgotten about it :-)

12:55 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Sailu & vkn, Murukku is my favourite too:)

12:56 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

You are so thoughtful vkn. I have written all your curries in my cook book. Going to try one by one.

12:59 PM   Edit
Blogger Visala Manaskan said...

ithonnu padikkanam, padikkanam nnu vichaarichirikkyaayirunnu.

innu thanne.., oh. innu venda., naale thanne...sho, naale... allenkil ee veekendil thanne...njanee murukkundaakkum. :)

thaankse..!

7:44 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priya, there is no corresponding name for murukku in English since it is not part of any western cuisine. And why look for another name for something as delicious as murukku? I used to make chakli often - chakli is not as crunchy as murukku and the really good ones almost dissolve in your mouth. My daughter is a murukku fan so I will probably be trying your recipe very soon!

10:29 AM   Edit
Blogger Dhonatneth said...

Hi Priya... murukku is my favourite, i would like to try yr recipe, but i dont know what is urad flour and besan flour? are they same with plain flour?

10:59 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

dhonatneth, Urad flour --is nothing but Urad dal madxe into flour--which will look like a white flour--it is available in all the grocery stores.

Besan flour-- is the one which we use for making baajiees....even this is available in the grocery stores:) Hope this will help for you:)

11:20 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look so nice.
Can you help me find a Murukka Maker. We have had a nice one "KOMAL". It just died. Need a new one to buy. If not that brand an alternative is fine. Thanks.

Pushpa

5:12 PM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Priya,

I made muruku for Deepavali using this recipe of urs. I made half the recipe. It was too good tat hubby & dgtr finished them within 2 days.

3:39 AM   Edit
Blogger Rinnchan said...

Hii Priya..Vanakkam. This is just the right blog to refer to. My kids just love this murukku but I never attempt to make. Just go and buy at bakery. Maybe I can try ur recipe one fine day...

1:36 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home