Saturday, June 09, 2007

 

Fruit Cake

Hi Guys, here I am back to blogging. There is no reason for me not blogging apart from saying that I have become bit lazy these days. My friend had recently been to her home town, Kerala, and guess what she got for me? Bakery items, what else I could ask for than eatables like jackfruit halwa, plum cake, jackfruit chips etc. The plum cake got all my attention and droved me to search the recipes at Google. Still I do not know the difference between a plum cake and a fruit cake because the ingredients are almost the same, expect the plum cake has more of plums, for me, both tastes the same. So as I was searching at Google I came across RP’s fruit cake and here , I ended up following the method of RP’s recipe and here goes the method!!

Method

Step 1- Caramel stage: For this you will need ¼ cup sugar, 1 tbsp water, ¼ cup warm water, and 1tsp vanilla extract.

  • In medium heat, heat ¼ cup of sugar with 1 tbsp of water and keep stirring until the color changes from light brown to dark brown. This would take minimum 15 minutes. Once the color becomes darker, remove the pan and pour ¼ cup warm water. To this add the 1tsp vanilla extract.

Step 2- First Mixing: Bring 1 cup sugar, ¼ lb butter (room temperature), 3 eggs. Blend sugar and butter by adding the eggs one by one.


Step 3- Second Mixing: In a mixing bowl, add 1 cup all- purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder , ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp spice powders (cinnamon powder, ginger powder, cloves powder, and nut mug powder).

Step 4: Bringing Step 1, 2, and 3 together. Mix flour, salt, baking powder, spice powders, add caramel water and blend well, and add the sugar, butter egg mixture and blend them together.

Step 5: Bringing the nuts and dry fruits together. To the above, add 1 cup of dried fruits (apricots, dates, raisins, cherries, currants, plums, tutty-fruity, etc) and ½ cup of nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts, etc). Add the fruits to the mixture and add ¼ tsp grated orange or lemon zest.

Step 6: Pour the mixture into a greased baking pan, and bake at 350F for 50 minutes to 60 minutes. Once done, remove the cake and keep in a cooling rack and allow it cool and store in a air tight container.

Notes:

  • I did not use Rum or Brandy, still the taste was unbelievable. You can try with or without alcohol for this recipe.
  • In the caramel stage, be careful, while pouring the warm water into the hot content, it might splatter.
  • This proportion yields about 20 small pieces.

Labels: , , ,

28 Comments:

Blogger Coffee said...

Good to see you back Priya!! :)

The cake looks awesome! :) Lovely pics as well. :)

1:08 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cake looks great! Where did you
buy orange/Lemon zest from? Which section can I find those?

5:07 AM   Edit
Blogger FH said...

Moist and delicious fruit cake Priya.Good to see you blogging:))

5:55 AM   Edit
Blogger Suganya said...

The cake looks pretty. The step-by-step photos help a lot! Thx.

11:47 AM   Edit
Blogger Mrs. K said...

The cake looks good, priya.
I don't use rum either. Later I have adapted archana'a recipe and made another fruitcake. Please see the link here. The ingredients in archana's recipe are a little different. If you scroll down my post, you will see the variations I made to archana's recipe. Your post and pictures making me feel like to bake another fruitcake! Can't wait for December... I have lots of dried fruits in stock, so may be I will bake one soon too. :)

11:48 AM   Edit
Blogger Parul said...

You can use maraschino cherries instead of the tutty fruity as is not available in the US.

1:28 PM   Edit
Blogger Parul said...

Oops, forgot to mention in the last comment. You can put run extract( essence) available at grocery stores getting the smell and flaor but not the alchohol.

1:33 PM   Edit
Blogger Pavani said...

That is a delicious looking cake. Looks moist and yummy.Nice pic.

7:42 PM   Edit
Blogger Bharathy said...

Yaaaay !!!Priya is backkkkk..I was soooooo happy to see your fresh post today..was coming in and out all these days..and asked myself..has she gone (COME)to India..or somewhere else to teach?..or some holidaying..or some sort of flu(sorry)and you came out with your word "lazyness",simply enough(grr)..

Missing a fresh post in a fav blog is like missing a person you love...

Missed you..TERRIBLY..!!!

12:10 AM   Edit
Blogger Bharathy said...

oops!being so enthusiastic I almost forgot to comment about that yummy fruity nutty cake..[yes as you said even I can't differentiate between fruit cake and plum cake]
Just like my mom makes in KTM!went little nostalgic..the slices look pretty,moist and fresh

12:14 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks nice! yet to try ur cake recipes though.they look very simple n easy to make:-)

4:42 AM   Edit
Blogger Viji said...

Looks very nice and tasty.Even I love plum cake from kerala.I have tried my hand in plum cake and its approximately upto the mark.Even i think there is not much difference b/w the 2.

1:00 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,
I made this cake for my hubby for birthday yesterday and he loved it!I don't have even a piece left to photograh:)Thanks a lot. That was such a simple, moist and lovely cake.Thanks again.

10:33 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Shilpa, Orange zest/Lemon zest is grated orange peel/lemon peel.

RP,I don't know how in the world I missed Archana's recipe, yeah her recipe is little different from yours, will try hers sometime:)

Parul,thanks for the tip- you are right, we don't get tutty-fruity here in the US.

Hey Bharathy that was good to know dear:)

Madhuli, happy to hear to turned out good at your kitchen:)

9:03 AM   Edit
Blogger Shah cooks said...

cake looks good. now i HAVE to make it.Rp, here i come.

11:17 AM   Edit
Blogger Sumitha said...

Priya cant tell you how much I am tempted to make a fruit cake now:)

I see in rps recipe baking soda being used and in your recipe you havent used soda only baking powder.I will be glad to skip out soda,because sometimes I find its taste very overpowering.

Is it ok to skip on soda?

5:58 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Sumitha, I guess you don't need both together, I just used the baking powder and it came out really good, so I would suggest you can use just the Baking powder and skip the soda:)

10:48 AM   Edit
Blogger Sia said...

yes yes yes... plum cake is something i really miss and the bakery in my hometown is quite famous for its delicious plum cake. thanks for the recipe priya n RP, i have to try this very soon:)
and good to see u blogging again:)

2:33 AM   Edit
Blogger Sumitha said...

Thanks Priya,I am so glad to hear that!I shall definetly try making them.

3:42 AM   Edit
Blogger Linda said...

Hi Priya, it's so nice to see you back :) Fruitcake looks really tasty and very rich!

10:46 PM   Edit
Blogger Anu said...

The Fruit cake looks so Yumm!!
Can't wait to try it out!
And good to see you back in action Priya!

11:39 AM   Edit
Blogger mitr_bayarea said...

Priya,

I tried the fruit cake on Sunday, I added 1/3 cup oil to the batter and it came out well, thought it was a lil too crunchy and hard.

Thanks for the delicious recipe!

2:51 PM   Edit
Blogger DEEPA said...

Great Priya ..Your are back and rocking ...This one is awosome ..Looks perfect and neat..and your step by step explanation ..Perfect

9:05 AM   Edit
Blogger J said...

Cake look moist and tempting!

6:38 AM   Edit
Blogger marriedtoadesi.com said...

Glad to see you back Priya. The cake looks very moist.

Kanchana

8:28 AM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Priya:) How have u been? I have tagged you for the name game in my blog, do check it out:)

2:45 PM   Edit
Blogger Sailaja Prakash said...

Hi Priya,

Wow... its really fantastic. The fruit cake looks yummy... :) Your blog is very nice.

1:42 PM   Edit
Blogger Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

Hi priya
Glad i dropped by your blog. Nice content. Will come often..
Greetings to you from Botswana.

3:09 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home