Wednesday, January 04, 2006

 

Potato Stew (Ishtu)

Another traditional Keralite dish called “Ishtu” in Malayalam and Potato Stew in English. This is simple to prepare and at the same time very tasty. This dish is idle for appam, idly and dosa.

Ingredients: Recipe for two

  • 1 big potato cut into big chunks
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 1 cup of coconut paste or milk
  • 1 inch piece of ginger finely chopped
  • 3-4 green chilies
  • 4 curry leaves
  • Salt to taste


















Method

  • In a pressure cooker add 2 tsp of oil. Add the onions, green chilies, ginger and sauté until the onions gets transparent. Don’t allow the onions to change color. It should be transparent. Now add the potatoes, ½ cup of water and salt. Pressure cook for 2 whistles.Once the potatoes are cooked, mash some of the potatoes to get a thick gravy.
  • Heat the pan and add the potato gravy and 1 cup of coconut milk or paste. Let the mixture boil for 2 minutes and turn off the heat.
  • Garnish with curry leaves and 1tsp of coconut oil.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So simple to make yet so, delicious!

8:49 PM   Edit
Blogger Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

hmmm... yummy. Something out of all the spices for a lighter day.

4:06 AM   Edit
Blogger Kay said...

Priya! I have a love-hate relationship with this dish! I love it for its yummmmmmmmmmmy taste. I hate that it goes direct to my hips! But, still, once in a while, let's indulge ;)

5:08 AM   Edit
Blogger GourmayMasala said...

Priya-

This is an interesting twist on the regular coconut chutney I make with idli/dosas.

Sort of an amalgam between masala dosa's masala and the coconut chutney, no?

7:10 AM   Edit
Blogger Balaji said...

Been following your blog for a little while. I ventured into cooking only recently and a couple of simple dishes i made courtesy your recipes helped me score some brownie points with my wife :) So thanx!

Do you have a simple recipe to make vendakkai curry with onions and tomatoes? my wife usually fries the vendakkais and I want to c if there's something different out there... If u do have the time, please send me an email at bbalaji@sbcglobal.net

3:00 PM   Edit
Blogger Anbae said...

Priya, yes.. Atlast got one of ur dish (kushka biriyanai) quite right to ur tastes and smells.... have to use ur word,, Yummy.. v guys don hav anyother job in our semester holidays other than cooking, inspired bcoz of u..

And very proudly saying, really v guys get preparing ourselves to make our wifes happy...heheheh

Abt this dish ... entha priya, intha palakattu dish nangal prepare cheyum...hehe ll try out today...

4:36 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Lera, True, it is very easy to make.

Tina, When I am little lazy to cook I go with this recipe. It is very light and easy to cook.

Kay,lol:) Even I dont cook Stew often. The dish is very bland compared to the other indian curries.

Garam, you are right. I would say the same. It almost tastes like coconut chutney and masala dosa masala. Its a two in one dish:)

Balaji, Good to see you here:) I am a silent reader of your blog. I appreciate your interest in cooking. I shall send you the vendaka recipe asap.

Anbae, good to hear the recipe came out yummy!! I am sure you are going to make your wife happy. I could see that :) Happy cooking.

7:49 PM   Edit
Blogger Menu Today said...

I think this dish very well go with idlis and appam. No Garlic required???!!!!!

12:56 AM   Edit
Blogger SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP said...

Hi..I was just browising for some recipes tht I miss from India...You have plethora of them...Wanted some simple Stew recipe and I found ir here...Will get back!! Smart work..

9:59 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I recently came upon you blog. And its awesome! I make potato stew almost the same way except I use shallots instead of big onions. They give it a unique taste. When I dont have shallots or too short of time, I use regular onions.

Lakshmi

7:09 AM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Anon-- i have never tried with shallots-- will try them next time:)

4:15 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home